Views
Helpful
Replies

Average cpu of C4507R

csiracusa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we have analyze the average cpu of a lot of WS-C4507R with the output like the file attached.

Is it a normal output?!

The release is 12.2(25)SG1.

The processes with a lot of percentage are Cat4k Mgmt HiPri, Cat4k Mgmt LoPri and SNMP ENGINE, is it the right behavior?!

Thanks and Best Regards

Cinzia

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Doesn't look to be out of the ordinary , the switch will attempt to use any idle cpu cycles for processing. Read this link about CPU utilization on 4500 series switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00804cef15.shtml

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

I am writing this just based on my experience as I have seen thousands of 4500 CPU cases.

When you look at this graphs the 72hr average gives you a reliable baseline average which in your case is a consistent 20%.

The *** means spikes and of course your switch will hit 100% in a single cycle (remember there are millios of cycles per second)because it will try to do all of its tasks at once. It just takes one busy cycle to reflect a *** in the high 90's.

The Cat4k Mgmt HiPri and Cat4k Mgmt LoPri are normally the higher processes.

You can use "sh plat health" to detail the two processes mentioned above. Keep an eye on the first two columns, the first one is the target % and the second is the current %.

You want to have your actual % lower than the target.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

CS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card