Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Access for Router

john.pepper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently use modems for out-of-band access to our routers - but these are proving very unreliable.

We've looked into basic terminal servers (with integrated modem) but these cost too much for basic remote access onto a router console port over PSTN.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggesitons on an alternative to our current modem option - or a decent modem that works well with the Cisco console port.?

Thanks for any help

John

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I use USRobotics Sportster modems (33.6) and they have been very reliable.

Many thanks for the reply Colin.

We do use modems but not this kind. I'll try one out.

Cheers

John

US Robotics 56k Faxmodem is the winner for me. It's been working for almost four years without a glitch. The Model number is 5686E.

Cisco has a very good document for configuring the US Robotics modem for console access. HTH

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a00800941c9.shtml

Many thanks to you all for the replies and informaiton. It's what makes this forum worthwhile.

All the best.....John

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

In my experience MultiTech modems are the best for Cisco devices. A close second is USR's Courier business modem. Both are pricey but both offer password security. The Multitech is also very simple to reconfigure remotely.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card