Views
Helpful
Replies

Command info : sh platform forward

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

What's the difference between the command and why youd they give a different output on a 3750G Default SDM template:

sh plat forw gigabitEthernet 1/0/1 H.H.H H.H.H ipv6 X:X:X:X::ff03 ff02::1:ff00:ff01 icmp 135 0

and

sh plat forw gigabitEthernet 1/0/1 H.H.H H.H.H

6 Replies 6

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

Same switch?

Same IOS version?

Same IOS type?

Same switch...

Interesting..

So you are saying that the same command gives different output? Or am I msising what commands you are talking about - I saw the title of this thread to have only one command...

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dominic,

sorry but I don't understand your question you say that two different show commands provide different output.

But this is typical.

For example sh ip route and sh ip route 192.168.10 doesn't provide the same output, the same happens for sh ip bgp and sh ip bgp 192.168.1.0.

Second command looks like to have only L2 information on it (a MAC address parameter) first command adds ipv6 options including an ipv6 multicast destination.

May you provide examples of the two show commands?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

This is the output of the switch. The SDM template is the default( IPv4 only) Expected behavior is to use only L2 information when forwarding IPv6 frame. Now log at the Asic4 Port Gi1/0/25 in the two commands output...

This command works like a calculator - it only works when the input is relevant. You are asking the switch, with this information, what does your hardware programming tell you to do?

The outputs are indeed different - I assume you have multiple links? Is the destination an etherchannel? Note etherchannel hashing can utilize more than L2 information, even while switching.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card