cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Capture ISSUE!!!

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

I need to capture traffic on a voice vlan using wireshark. How do I get the switch to let me access that traffic with out it putting my PC on the Data vlan? Right now the switch is configured to only let cisco phones access the voice vlan. I also have bduguard enabled.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

When you specify a port as a SPAN destination, it will not get an IP address. You will specify in the monitor session commands which VLANs you would like to send to that port.

Note: when SPANing a VLAN, you should either specify in or out. If you do 'both' (default) you'll get duplicate packets.

hth,

nick

View solution in original post

If you want the entire VLAN you won't get this information. If you just want the information for broadcast and unicast to the PC and phone, this should work without additional configuration.

If this is CUCM, you need to go to the phone webpage and enable "SPAN To PC Port" and then save and reset the phone. Settings->Device Settings->Ethernet Information->Span to PC port = true

Then it should work as described.

-nick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

When you specify a port as a SPAN destination, it will not get an IP address. You will specify in the monitor session commands which VLANs you would like to send to that port.

Note: when SPANing a VLAN, you should either specify in or out. If you do 'both' (default) you'll get duplicate packets.

hth,

nick

Hello Nick,

Is there way way to do this with the while the phone is plugged into the switch and the pc is plugged into the phone and still capture this traffic at the pc ?

If you want the entire VLAN you won't get this information. If you just want the information for broadcast and unicast to the PC and phone, this should work without additional configuration.

If this is CUCM, you need to go to the phone webpage and enable "SPAN To PC Port" and then save and reset the phone. Settings->Device Settings->Ethernet Information->Span to PC port = true

Then it should work as described.

-nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: