cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to convert autonomous AP to LWAPP via CLI?

tajennings
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Probably a silly question but was wondering why it is not possible to convert an autonomous AP to LWAPP by using CLI commands?

For example we have over 300 access points to convert and thought about using Linux to automate the task but seems there is only a windows conversion utility.

Cheers,

- Trevor

4 Replies 4

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Sure, depending on the type of AP's you have. If the AP already has a manufacturer cert installed you can just upgrade the AP using the archive command and pull the lwapp conversion image up. If you don't have the cert you will have to use the conversion tool.

You can run the command "test pb display" to see if the certs are already installed.

Thanks for the command. That will make it easier to figure out which ap's will need conversion.

So there is no way to duplicate what the conversion utility does for the non MIC aps as far as creating the SSC certs via cli?

- Trevor

I think the only other option is to use WCS. You can add all your autonomous APs to WCS and then convert them with templates that way.

I'm not sure how many APs can be converted with the conversion tool though. I thought you just had to make a list of your AP IP addresses and usernames/passwords, and the program will just go through the list and give you a report when it is done. Maybe it can't do 300 at one time, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to convert 1 at a time manually

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Trevor,

You can convert AP to LWAP using CLI but this is entirely dependent on the model of AP you're dealing with. 1230, for example, requires the conversion tool. 1130, 1240 and 1250 can be converted using CLI. Here it is ...

Requirements:

• Image file (The recovery file has the prefix “rcv” in the image name, such as c1200-rcvk9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

• AP is connected to the Wireless LAN Controller; and

• AP can ping the TFTP server where the image is located.

Procedure

1. Copy the recovery file to the AP using the following command:

archive tar /x tftp:/// flash:

2. Let the AP boot on this image:

boot system flash://.bin

3. Reboot the AP.

OPTIONAL

• DO NOT ALLOW THE AP TO JOIN THE WIRELESS LAN CONTROLLER IN ORDER TO USE THE OPTIONAL COMMANDS BELOW.

• IF POSSIBLE, type the following commands:

 clear lwapp private-config (This will bring the AP to factory default.);

 clear lwapp ap ip address

 clear lwapp ap hostname

 clear lwapp ap controller ip address

4. Let the AP connect to the Wireless LAN controller.

OPTIONAL

If an AP refuses to join the Wireless LAN Controller, type the following command from the AP:

lwapp ap controller ip address

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card