Unanswered Question
Sep 3rd, 2009

Hi all,

I completed my CCNA certification 3 weeks ago and I have started BSCI but as I have had no experience of I.T before this i was wondering if it would be benifical to get Microsoft MCITP first. In the UK at the moment it seems that there is far more positions available for people with Microsoft Server experience than junior positions in Networking. My passion is in networking but its so painful waiting for an employer to take a chance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Thu, 09/03/2009 - 11:56

Being that you have no experience in IT, I would say do whatever you feel gives you the best shot at getting started in this field. If employers in your area are looking for Microsoft technicians, then it might be best to pursue some Microsoft knowledge.

I was in a similar position here in the US and I think this really has to do with your location & the companies that have a presence in your area. You might find (as I did) that the few Cisco jobs in my area were worked by those with years and years of experience. I'm sure it isn't like that everywhere, but again it really depends on where you are and what opportunities there are.

I met a guy once at Networkers who explained to me that he couldn't find a job anywhere in town. After some polite talk, I learned that he lived in a very small town of less than 5,000 people and that there were probably just a handfull of jobs to begin with and he wouldn't take just ANY IT work - it had to be Cisco. So - I guess what I'm saying is pursue whatever education you need to get that first job. There are some great opportunities out there, but some of them will require documented experience before anyone will hire you to do it!

billyinkin Thu, 09/03/2009 - 13:14

Its very hard where i am at the moment Jim. I live in London and we are in a recession;( I think your right in saying about any certs to get into the field. I just feel im in that catch 22 situation where i have got the CCNA but no experience;(( I think the best thing to do is just keep adding as many certs as possible in anyway shape or form untill someone hires me;))

Bill from London;)

This Discussion