cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIP310 Caller ID mapping numbers to contacts

deverill-bezier
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WIP310 configured through Asterisk but inbound calls only display the number (twice) and do not display the matching name from the contacts list.  Do I need to configure something to get this to work.  It is absolutely fine on my SPA941.

13 Replies 13

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi deverill-bezier,

I've just tested in my Asterisk environment and compared the caller ID between WIP310, SPA525G, SPA922, SPA962, and an analog phone.

Caller ID displays identically on all my phones, including the WIP310.

I see, Last Name First Name on line 1 and line 2 of the WIP310 display shows the calling number.

WIP 310 was factory defaulted, wifi settings, Debug server IP address, Debug 3, SIP Debug Option full, then registration settings.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

I've attached the configuration that I used on my WIP310 when registering to my Asterisk server for comparing the caller id display against SPA9x2 and an analog phone.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for helping out.  I think I need to clarify.  I have a new WIP310-G2 model.  I am using Contacts which don't appear to have the First Name, Last Name concept that you are speaking about.

If I phone it from another SIP phone, then I do get the station name displayed but when I call it from an external line then it doesn't display a name but just the number on both lines.

I have done nothing special other than giving it a static IP and registering it in Asterisk.  I have compared the web pages of the two phones and (where applicable) I can't see any differences.

I tried to look at the attachment on your last post but just get a frame in a web page with no content.  I have never used a debugging server.

I tried to follow the section on "Viewing the Display Name or Phone Number" in the user guide but it talks about a (check mark icon) which I don't seem to have.

This is so frustrating as I am sure it is something quite simple.

Thanks once again for any help that you can give,

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Patrick,

Do either of these attachments help?

Thanks

Colin

Dear Colin;

Could you please send the traces for the INVITE the WIP310 is receiving. I would like to check the headers. On the message, please indicate me what is being shown in the screen.

Regards
Alberto

Hope this syslog extract means something to you guys.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

The WIP310 uses the From field to retrieve caller ID information. The log you provided shows that your phone is behaving correctly.

Our SPA5xx and SPA9x2 phones allow you to modify which fields end up as caller id information. Looking at your trace data, that wouldn't help because the provider does not supply any additional identifying information.

I've color-coded the bits from the log to hopefully make this easier to follow:

Here's a call I made from my mobile > ITSP > Asterisk > WIP310 [I've modified my phone number to 5551212]:

[0:5060]->192.168.2.25:5060
SIP/2.0 487 Request Terminated
To: <242>;tag=7770521ad8ef55b1i0
From: "Born Patrick" <>3615551212@192.168.2.25>;tag=as276e022c
Call-ID: 4f3374757a61b44e3867747672307ac0@192.168.2.25
CSeq: 102 INVITE
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.2.25:5060;branch=z9hG4bK4003e4a4
Server: Cisco/WIP310-5.0.11(10301355
Content-Length: 0

Thus my WIP310 displays:

First Name: Patrick

Last Name: Born

Number: 3615551212

Now let's look at line 14 of your trace which is a 487 where you hung up the call.

09-11-2009 22:09:02 Local7.Debug 172.24.0.102 SIP/2.0 487 Request Terminated<013><010>

To: ;tag=3a6e89e9176f41b9i0<013><010>

From: "07817123456" <>07817123456@172.24.2.5>;tag=as69939112<013><010>

Call-ID: 27573af3004122f4265e7940407b4863@172.24.2.5<013><010>CSeq:

102 INVITE<013><010>

Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 172.24.2.5:5060;branch=z9hG4bK3d9a5182<013><010>

Server: Cisco/WIP310-5.0.11(10301355<013><010>

Content-Length: 0

This tells me that your WIP310 will display the following:

First Name:

Last Name: 07817123456

Number: 07817123456

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

Ok I think we have established that although the SPA5xx and SPA9x2 phones allow you to modify which fields end up as caller id information, the WIP310 does not.

So I have taken another approach by modifying the dialplan in Asterisk and using a series of gotoif and CALLERID(name) statements, I have manually entered the 20 or so numbers that I hold in the contacts.  It's not very elegant but it works and I now have the end result that I require.

Looking on the Internet, there are more elegant solutions by using databases and Internet lists such as google, whitepages, 411 etc. but for my needs the cludgy method is fine.

Thanks for all your help and testing.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

You're most welcome. I'm pleased to read that you figured out a solution.

Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Colin,

I have a new WIP310-G2 model.

I am using the same version of WIP310 [donated by the friendly product manager :-) ]

I am using Contacts which don't appear to have the First Name, Last Name concept that you are speaking about.

To clarify, when someone calls me from the PSTN, caller id displays their last name and first name on the top line of an analogue phone's display. Their phone number is displayed on the second line of the display. Here's what this looks like on a simple analog phone with a caller id display: [click image to view]

cap-822.jpg

Calling from the same phone to my ITSP number which routes to my Asterisk system to a WIP310 looks like this.

Notice that the analog phone displays different first/last name info:

cap-823.jpg

I tried to look at the attachment on your last post but just get a frame in a web page with no content.

Just click on the attachment and scroll down. You will see my WIP310's configuration pages. Sending an HTML config is much easier than sending individual PDF files. I describe how to do this here: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2982

I tried to follow the section on "Viewing the Display Name or Phone Number" in the user guide but it talks about a (check mark icon) which I don't seem to have.

Which guide did you look in? Can you give me a page number too please? I'll review and have the documentation fixed. The last thing we want or need is confusing documentation.

This is so frustrating as I am sure it is something quite simple.

Luckily I have it working here, so that means it can be done... now we just have to figure out what the issue is.

I have never used a debugging server.

Not a problem, it's not too complex for someone who plays Asterisk.

Here's how to enable debugging: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-3033

You can use any syslog server that you want, there are free ones available on the Internet.

Use Wireshark to capture traces. It's free on the Internet.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick,

I've been away for a couple of days so sorry for not getting back to you.  I have now compared my configuration with yours and it is identical other that using a static IP (but I have tried it with DHCP to no avail).

Before I go any further with this I have noticed another peculiarity.  If I ping the phone I get a series of request timed out followed by three replies (usually 2246ms, 1ms and 227ms) and then another period of two to four minutes of request timed out before the pattern is repeated..  If I initiate a call to the phone, then the ping replies are constant.  I can also not connect through the web browser unless I initiate a call.  The signal strength does not show as more that one or two bars even though I know the coverage from my WAP to be good.  Sometime the phone takes 15 seconds or so to respond to an incoming call.

Do you see similar on your phone?  I ask this now because if I have a faulty phone I may as well get that sorted before fixing the Caller ID issue.

Thanks
Colin

Hi Colin,

My 3 WIP310 phones present very similar behavior to what you're reporting wrt pings and browser access.

They ring at about the same time as my other IP phones ring for inbound calls.

Other community users have reported that their round-trip ping times are pretty long. I experience the same behavior too.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Thanks Patrick,

So it looks like the phone is ok then.  I guess there some kind of built in power saver that wakes up on arp requests and stays alive throughout the call or something.  Clever stuff.

Did the syslog information help at all?

The phone is receiving the caller id (number) ok, it is just failing to relate it to its own contact list.  From your previous post, is it picking up "Born Patrick" from the contacts on the phone?  i.e if you delete that contact and create another one with John Doe and your same number, does it display "Doe John" when it rings?

I'm just trying to understand what is going on

Thanks

Colin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: