CUP node name within subcluster

Unanswered Question
Sep 4th, 2009

CUP ver 7.04 , HA.

1 subcluster containg 2 nodes - node1 and node2. The help file states that the node name under topology can be either the hostname, i.e Node1 or the FQDN, i.e Node1.XYZ.com(IP address is also an option).

If i choose to use just the hostname i.e Node1 and Node2 then HA works fine, i.e CUPC client will recive a notification of a node failure and will reconnect to the backup node. However if I use the FQDN (i.e under topology, subcluster, node names ) then upon failure the client will try and connect to node2.xyz.com.xyz.com and therefore fails. So it adds the proxy domain to the hostname to try and connect via FQDN.

So my question is can we use the FQDN under under topology, subcluster, node names or should we just use the node name portion without the domain suffix or just use the IP address? ...cheers, Jeff

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
htluo Fri, 09/04/2009 - 07:04

Hi Jeff,

On CUPC, CUPS node is referenced in multiple places. However, depending on the feature, CUPC use different methods to determine the node name.

1) Logon

During logon, the user needs to provide a CUPS node name. He may use IP address or hostname/FQDN. As long as the hostname/FQDN can be resolved to a reachable IP address, logon would proceed.

2) Presence

After logon, CUPC will try to connect to presence. Please note, the "presence node" may or may not be the same node as the logon node.

Depending on the node assignment, CUPC use the node name and SIP domain name to form the presence node. For example if node name is cup1, SIP domain is foobar.local, presence node would be cup1.foobar.local.

To make things more complicated, SIP domain *could* be different from DNS domain.

My recommendation would be:

1) Use hostname as node name (e.g. use "cup1" instead of "cup1.mylab.local".

2) Make sure SIP domain configured on CUPS is the same as the DNS domain.

3) Make sure the client computer have correct DNS appendix.

If you don't want to use DNS at all, you may change the node name to IP address.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Actions

This Discussion