cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apply additional license to 3750-E stack

MachadoGB
Level 1
Level 1

I have one stack with two 3750-E and only one switch with IP advanced services license to run OSPF. The second switch still has its original license (IP base). I got from Cisco a license file for the second switch (ip advanced). I have tried the normal procedure to install the license but it is stil not working. I am getting "xml parsing file" error. We ruled out the possibility of a corrupted file.

Is there any specific procedure to apply this license to the second switch while it is on a stack and running? Do I need to separate the stack to apply the license to the second one?

Why do I want that? - in case one fail the other one can handle the OSPF process (high avalability reasons).

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can copy the license file to the stack member's flash first, and then use the command session 2 to access the member's command prompt, and follow the usual license procedure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/12_2se/feature/guide/se_cisl.html#wp1063250

HTH,

jerry

Ok - one more detail. Do I need to add the ".lic" for the file name? or - is there any specific extension I need to add to the license file name to complete the installation?

Yes, you need the entire name and lic.

I had the same exact error message with 3 3750-E switches (not stacked). It took us a long time with TAC, our SE and sales rep to get this resolved (what a pain).

1-try adding a forward "/" after flash

and before you add the .llc file.

The correct syntax on the 3750E is:

#license install flash:/CAT1114R0CO_20090526094501582.lic

(NOTE THE "/")

2-If that does not work, make sure when you download the license key use upper case not lower. For some reasons, if the license in the key file is in lower case, it would not work. Because the actual license on the box is in upper case

HTH

Reza

Thank you Reza,

I will try during my next maintenance window 9-13 and will let you know.

I am having the same problem - the case is going from one group to the other and not a clear answer so far.

Thank you.

Machado

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco