Shared Lines and Hunt Group

Unanswered Question
Sep 4th, 2009
User Badges:

I'd like to convert my existing setup with several SPA941 phones and a 9K to use the following scenario.  Can you tell me if this would work before I attempt to reconfigure how I have this implemented at present time?  When a user presses 0 on the AA, a shared line (call it SL1) which is programmed on button 3 of all the phones should ring.  If someone answers and that line is then 'in use' and an additional person presses 0 to exit AA, the call should 'attempt' SL1, but if that shared line is 'in use', the call should attempt to use a second shared line (call it SL2) programmed on button 4 of all the phones.  If both are 'in use' the call should go to VM.  Would a hunt group with both shared lines and a call fwd to VM of a set mailbox work, or is there a different way to implement this (or is this not possible)? Thanks -Don

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Alberto Montilla Mon, 09/07/2009 - 06:32
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Dear Don;

Shared Lines does not work inside Hunt Groups. I suggest you use parallel hunt groups instead, basically those ring all phones at the same time.

Regards
Alberto

donwbpa3donwbpa3 Mon, 09/07/2009 - 19:15
User Badges:

So is there also no way to route a call to a shared line and if that line is 'busy' have the call roll/fwd/etc. to a second shared line? -Don

Alberto Montilla Tue, 09/08/2009 - 09:46
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Don;

On the contact list, there is a forwarding rule you should be able to apply for the No Answer case. Nothing for the busy.

Question, for my own understanding, why would you like to use shared lines instead of a hunt group?

Regards
Alberto

donwbpa3donwbpa3 Tue, 09/08/2009 - 19:43
User Badges:

Ok. Thanks for the answer.  The reason I'm interested in the shared lines is to make it simple for the users.  If someone hits 0, shared line 1 will ring on all phones (can be done with a hunt group--doing that already).  But when someone answers it and needs to transfer the call to another phone, it is easier for them to simply place the call on hold and get hold of whoever needs to pick it up and let them know its on 'line 1' or 'line 2'.  Transfering the call doesn't work in this situation because the user that is going to pick this call up on another extension is not neccesarily close to the phone.  I know the call could be parked and then retrived that way, but that involves novice users learning additional steps about the 'phone system' vs. just picking up a blinking on-hold line of a shared line.  So really, it is just trying to make the simple scenario easy for some users (many of which don't have an extension, just use a common phone) that aren't all going to learn the details of the phone system.  The reason for the need for the call to roll down the list of shared lines is so that 2 or 3 buttons could be set up on the phones to deal with up to three concurrent instances of the scenario described above.  Does that make sense?  Any other ideas besides the hunt group or call park?  Thanks for asking.

Alberto Montilla Mon, 09/14/2009 - 06:46
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Don;

I think there is no other workaround for these phones.

New SPA500 phones allow mapping of a parking lot to a line key, so you can park/unpark calls with a press of a key.

Regards
Alberto

Actions

This Discussion