cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Translation Patterns etc

kim_beadle
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured translation patterns that will force users to dial internally rather than nationally in order to reach offices on our converged voice/data network.

I have discovered that each translation pattern needs to be replicated for each css.

This makes for many translation patterns, currently 20 to cover our different sites, multiply this by the 60 CSS.

I am ok to configure all of the translation patterns but I now see a problem.

If the internal site is off the network and the user dials the PSTN national code as usual, he will never reach the site as the translation pattern will strip the digits back leaving the 4 digits.

Has anyone tried to achieve this.

Kim

5 Replies 5

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Kim

When you say off the network do you mean there is no IP connectively between the sites? , are your remote DN`s, handsets all registered to CCM?

Current set tup

Site A Extensions 1xxx

Site B Extension 2xxx

User A (site A ) dials User B at Site B

User A dial 2222, if the WAN is up, the call is sent across the WAN

User A dial 901215552222 ( User B`s PSTN number) , you force it on-net via Translations

Issue if the WAN does down no connection no fail over - Could use AAR and/ Or Call Forward Not Registered- Dependent on CCM version also if you use EM may cause problems since EM also makes use of NOT Registered

Have you created locations and have you set AAR up if so you can make used of this if you know Site B is off the AIR by setting the Location to 1k so forcing AAR to take place and so calls from User A dialling either internal number or PSTN will make use of the AAR feature and go via the PSTN

Since the destination - DN`s you are calling are in reality a DN on CCM you can not make use of Route Groups, fail over etc as they are plain extensions

Hi iptuser55,

Yes no ip network connectivity for the registered handsets at the remote site when on WAN failure.

My issue is that users tend to dial colleagues at remote sites using the PSTN number that they see in the e-mail signature, we are having difficulty educating them to dial the 4 digit internal DN.

The translations I have set up strip off the national dial prefix leaving the 4 digit DN which is fine.

If the remote site loses network connectivity and falls back to SRST on the local voice gateway router then the calling party would expect to reach the site by dialing the full national DDi. The translations still strip the national dial prefix causing the call to fail. I tried inputing the full national dial prefix DDi on 'not registered' against the DN on CUCM but the call was still intercepted by the CUCM translation.

All the sites are region/location based with specific bandwidth based on QoS Gold traffic and codec.

AAR we do not use as we have no reason to re-route calls for sites where they exceed their location bandwidth.

Kim

Kim

You could still make use of ARR- set the location to be 100Mbs or what ever but when the WAN is down then reduce the location statement down to 1k so for AAR to kick in. As you mentioned you strip the PSTN to 4 digits to leave an Internal CCM DN so there are no route groups etc . The only other way is to create a copy of each PSTN, DN translation but use a new Partition " PSTN "Re-route" with a CSS for the PSTN GW`s but do not translate, then when the WAN is down remove the normal Partition you have for each user in their CSS to access the PSTN, DN translation pattern and replace it with the new partition " PSTN Re-route" so the callers will enter the PSTN number but there will be no translation. However you mentioned the callers do not use the 4 digit numbers as they are know the PSTN number however you may get "smarter" users soon do so you need to take that into account

CFNR- Add a dummy DN for CFNR for each User (user 2222 in Site B CFNR *2222) and then user a new translation to strip the * and add the PSTN number- this will bypass the orginal TP`s

Hi iptuser,

I am looking for a dynamic way to solve this issue. Manually changing location bandwidth is an overhead as we have 45 locations at present and these will grow.

To create a new partition and manually remove/add to 60+ CSS is not workable.

Kim

Kim - you may be able to leverage the Num-EXP command within the router's IOS to handle your translations.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/voice/command/reference/vrf_g.html#wp1108117

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: