cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN.dat

marshajr
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to export the vlan.dat files and reload them in LMS3.1? If so how?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I would not copy it to another device, but it can be copied back to the device from whence it came.

View solution in original post

You have to locate them within the shadow directory. However, this is not hard. The shadow directory entries are indexed by device type, config type, then device display name.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The latest vlan.dat file is available in the shadow directory. This file can be copied back to the device. The shadow directory is located in NMSROOT\files\rme\dcma\shadow on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/shadow on Solaris. For example:

/var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma/shadow/Switches_and_Hubs/VLAN/nms-3750.cfg

That will be the vlan.dat for device nms-3750.

However, you cannot export the vlan.dat, then re-import them back into RME.

Thanks for the answer ... Can a VLan.dat file be copied to another device (this is the question I have been asked to follow up), or can it only be reapplied to the device it was archived from?

I would not copy it to another device, but it can be copied back to the device from whence it came.

I should state that copying vlan.dat from one device to another device of the same type is fine provided the other configs are the same. Copying between device types MAY be okay as well, but there have been some problems with this in the past given the binary nature of the file. Trying it will not cause a problem, but you may not get the same VLAN/VTP data. In that case, manual entry will be required.

Thanks for that - I assume that we have to manually locate the files we want to copy, or is there some process in Ciscoworks that allows the exporting of VLan files?

You have to locate them within the shadow directory. However, this is not hard. The shadow directory entries are indexed by device type, config type, then device display name.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: