Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp routes

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

If I have 2 routers on a lan, and both of them connect to a remote location, both the same speed, I know they will load balance, but is it possible for one of the local lan routers to pick up the remote route from the other local lan router on the same site ?

5 Replies 5

ktwaddell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Could you please post the topology and the configs of the routers.

Thanks

Kev

Hi there

I know how to configure eigrp

I want to know if it is possible, to say have 2 routers on site A, in the same subnet on the lan side, and they both connect over the wan to the same destination to another subnet, my question is, is it possible for one of the routers on the lan, to pickup a route to the remote network via the other lan router on the same subnet ??

If you know how to configure EIGRP - surely you know about Offset Routing Metrics or even BW/Delay manipulation on WAN interfaces....

I suggest you Read the URL again, just as a refresher.

If I understand your question correctly, then NO because both routes will be successor routes which will allow them to load balance traffic.

If you change the metric for one of them then it will become a feasible successor and you wont be load balancing. And in this case since one of the routers will not use its primary link because of the changed metric, then YES it will use the route provided by its adjacent neighbor on the local segment in SiteA.

Same thing will happen when you have a failure of one of these links to the remote location.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco