Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Backup for Leased line

mikedelafield
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have a direct leased line connection between 2 sites and in the event of failure of this link I would like a VPN to be brought up over my backup ADSL connection automatically.

I have Cisco ASA firewalls at both Site A and Site B. At site B the leased line and the ADSL terminate on the ASA.

My concern is that the VPN will come up or attempt to come up anyway whether the leased line is down or not.

Help!

Thanks

2 Replies 2

sziaulla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

it depends on your routing. Your routing should be setup in a way that when your leased line is up the default route should be pointing via leased line and when your leased line is down the default route should be pointing via adsl.

here is the sample config for your scenario.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

thanks

-Syed

Hi thanks.

I've actually got it working.

The problem was that the remote site was set to bi-directional and was constantly trying to bring up the connection seemingly confusing the normal routing.

I switched it to answer only and the Failover required site is bidirectional so now normal routing occurs when the link is up, but then when the link goes down the ADSL path takes over the routing and the VPN kicks in as expected.

Great!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: