cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary Route population

aray69
Level 1
Level 1

What is the easiest way to verify that secondary routes have been established on a Primary Router?

Is there any Document templates that would help me create a document to check if these have been populated?

Thanks,

Alan

4 Replies 4

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alan,

You mean after you lost your primary routes ?

In this case you keep using the same commands like sh ip route or sh ip cef x.x.x.x but I must be missing something here so please elaborate so we can better help you !!

Thanks

Laurent.

I also am unclear as to what you are asking.

Are you using a link-state IGP (i.e. OSPF,IS-IS or EIGRP)? You could check the respective topology tables for the routes.

aray69
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a little back ground on what happened.

DECPBT01 was replaced due to a faulty hard disk. The replacement was successful. However, two days later, the new device failed and blocked traffic to the WAN, so it was taken offline. This action would normally have resulted in a brief outage while the WAN traffic redirected itself to the secondary WAN router. But for an as yet unknown reason, this transfer took more than 20 minutes to occur. This investigation seeks to determine:

1. Why DECPBT01 failed. It actually had ceased functioning about 30 minutes after it was installed, but did not not report any symptoms until it crashed two days later.

2. Why did the transfer to secondary take 10 times longer than normal.

I have been tasked with creating a troubleshooting document to check routing table on master router to verify secondary routes have established within 2 minutes. If not, engage appropriate vendors.

I know how to get on and check to see the routes. My problem is, I'm not sure exactily what to look for? How do I know what is a primary route, and a secondary route? Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

Alan

It's still not totally clear.

What is DECPBT01 ?

You have a primary and secondary router - what routing protocol are you using to exchange routes.

How are these routers connected to the WAN ?

Really need some more details to help you.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: