cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Snooping Questions

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

From what I've read DHCP snooping can help prevent unauthorized DHCP servers from causing disruptions on the network. I don't see how that is from the configurations I've read.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/12ew/configuration/guide/dhcp.pdf

I want to implement something on my private network that is comprised of over 100 VLAN's. I can't see how the commands detailed on that page can stop an unauthorized DHCP server from responding to DHCP requests. Am I missing something?

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you enable DHCP Snooping, all switchports will automatically become untrusted thus you will manually need to identify the switchport where real DHCP is connected to - and dhcp trust that port.

You will need to dhcp trust inter-switch links as well.

If you don't dhcp trust a switchport, no DHCP server information will be relayed into your switched network.

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison, I was afraid of that. I have had issues with users who come in with a DHCP server like a small home router and plug into their network jacks. I can't put in .1X authentication yet so I couldn't go in that direction.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card