Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Throttle outgoing large emails?

Is there a way to throttle outgoing email if there's many of them and they're a certain size?

Every now and then we get users who send out hundreds of emails that are just under our attachment limit, and it slows the system down tremendously.

We cannot skip AV scanning for outgoing attachments, no matter how large they are.

4 Replies 4

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

The short answer:

Currently, at this time, you cannot pinpoint the exact time when an internal sender sends large messages and "throttle" only their traffic.

The long answer:

The functionality to throttle delivery of large messages that are just below your message limit exist in this setting:

Mail Policies > Mail Flow Policies > Throttled mail flow policy

There are settings there where you can slow down the outbound traffic.

Now, the catch is how do you detect these specific senders that are intermittently sending large messages? The IF condition of detecting these types of traffic is feasible now, but there is currently not a way to set the action to be THROTTLED outbound mail flow policy. That is the key here.

I would put together a brief summary of what you're seeking as far as the condition that would apply and the ACTION that you would want to do. You want to say if you see this occurring for this sender, then to put this sender and their msg into a certain THROTTLED outbound mail flow policy bucket.

Let me know what you think.

Is there a way to throttle outgoing email if there's many of them and they're a certain size?

Every now and then we get users who send out hundreds of emails that are just under our attachment limit, and it slows the system down tremendously.

We cannot skip AV scanning for outgoing attachments, no matter how large they are.

You can set max recipient per hour limit
===> you may be rejecting emails (of your very own users). Resend from users are normally difficult. And they are not happy.

Ironport in the picture or not. I tend to build another system that it ACCEPTs everything and spool them in the QUEUES for the users (so that they are happy). This system doesn't need to have antivirus feature.

Then the SPOOLER system (or ironport) can control the sending rate to your core outgoing (ironport), the one has antivirus feature.

Chris

So right now we use GroupWise and the email goes to the GWIA (internet agent) and then it forwards/relays everything to the Ironport appliances.

I was hoping that there was some magical method like:

IF email size is more than 10,000 kbytes
and
if more than 10/hour, then put in a special "low priority" queue where it can sit longer.

Right now I think they all get placed into one processing queue and then we get those resource state email notifications and everything backups when the users misbehave.

Our security policy prohibits us bypassing the AV scanner for large attachments (and no, we do not trust our users).

We did implement a 25 MB size restriction and even that was politically painful.

You can set max recipient per hour limit
===> you may be rejecting emails (of your very own users). Resend from users are normally difficult. And they are not happy.

Ironport in the picture or not. I tend to build another system that it ACCEPTs everything and spool them in the QUEUES for the users (so that they are happy). This system doesn't need to have antivirus feature.

Then the SPOOLER system (or ironport) can control the sending rate to your core outgoing (ironport), the one has antivirus feature.

Chris

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

The ability to slow down traffic when being delivered is available in the "Mail Policies > Mail Flow Policies", however, it is currently only customizable by destination domain.

You would need a feature request to get what you want, which is, "given this critieria/condition, put the message in a certain bucket that treats it different with respect to how it is delivered"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: