cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"hot-install" line cards in a 6509 Sup720?

thanmad
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a WS-X6748-GE-TX that i want to put into my 6509 Sup720 system. I need to upgrade the IOS for the system to be compatible with the module.

I've got dual Sup720s running RPR+ at the moment. The question is, can I install the 6748, upgrade the standby module, reload it so it boots up with the new module in place (while the primary stays up on the old version). Then when i'm ready for my scheduled downtime, cut over to the standby as the new primary, and upgrade the old primary?

Or is all this asking for trouble?

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon

Personally if you have scheduled downtime i would do it then. You can copy the IOS onto the flash card (if you have space) before the downtime.

There is nothing worse than taking out a core switch by accident :-)

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jon,

>> Or is all this asking for trouble?

yes if you change the IOS on the standby processor you will brake the pair of processors and who knows what will happen.

As suggested by Jon Marshall download the new IOS image in flash if there is free space and upgrade the IOS during the maintanance window.

Later after the supervisors are up and running new IOS image insert the new linecard

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card