Re-certifying my CCNA after 6 years... questions

Unanswered Question
Sep 9th, 2009
User Badges:

Hello All,

I have a few questions I need some help with. Here's my situation:

I got my CCNA back in the fall of 2003, right before the test was changed in some way (I dont remember the details).

Anyway, next month I'm interviewing for a job that looks positively on having the CCNA. Although I have gotten mine, I want to take it again now before the interview so that it is current.

Can anyone tell me how the test might have changed since I took in 2003? Specifically if there is new material to cover that was not there when I took it?

I would really appreciate any information anyone might be able to share!!!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
srue Wed, 09/09/2009 - 11:16
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

if yo'uve been using your cisco skills, even on an on again/off again basis, just read through the lammle book (sybex), brush up on subnetting, and you'll be fine.

vicioustruth Wed, 09/09/2009 - 11:45
User Badges:

Srue,

Thanks for the reply: I would say I am pretty rusty but I am confident that if I put the time in to studying, it will all come back.

srue Wed, 09/09/2009 - 12:11
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

I know the test has changed. I had to recertify back in '04 after being out of networking for two years. I read the sybex book (maybe twice) and passed readily. Depending on how much networking you did previously will dictate how much studying you need to do to get caught up. It's just the CCNA. Not much has changed from the 'basics', though some material is new to the CCNA since your last time I believe.

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-4976

cta_james Thu, 09/17/2009 - 12:50
User Badges:

The CCNA exam has changed quite a bit from when you took it last. When you took it there was more emphasis on the OSI reference model. Now, there are fewer questions on that.

On the old test you had questions on Spanning Tree Protocol and distinguishing between cut-through and store-and-forward LAN switching. You also had questions on IPX addressing and encapsulation and on ISDN protocols. These have been dropped.

On the current test you will get questions on VLAN configuration, WLAN, NAT and ACL's, and IPv6 that weren't on the old test. The old test covered RIPv1 and IGRP where the current test emphasizes RIPv2, OSPF and EIGRP.

Finally, the current exam uses simulations to a greater extent than you saw on the old exam.

csco10774405 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 13:46
User Badges:

I have a question my CCNA expired and I need to become CCNA again, what are my choices.

do the single 640-802 test or do I have to do both test 640-822 & 640-816 to become CCNA again?

Thanks.

webmasterx Mon, 09/28/2009 - 14:29
User Badges:

I took the 640-802 exam on Sep 21st (last week). This is my first time taking the test but from study materials I had from a few years back, th content was different. There was no longer any IGRP or ISDN questions. I mostly had topics from IPv6, Frame Relay, OSPF, RIPv2, EIGRP, Wireless, NAT, spanning-tree to VPN based questions. For my "current" studies, I used cisco press' ICND1 and ICND2 books. The SIM questions on CD helped me a lot and I passed the real test on my first attempt. Though I only had 3 minutes to spare on the last question! So if you take the all-in-one test, watch the time! :)

Actions

This Discussion