news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Imagine I am trying to test ACLs and validate whether a given IP

could communicate with a target server.

My goal in this case below is to ping target server=10.66.206.5 as if I was

a client IP=10.66.217.131.

Isn't possible to do this with extended ping? I don't understand why it does

not work. I am doing this from the layer 3 switch where routing takes place for the respective VLANs both server and clients are member of. Both servers and clients are connected to layer 2 switches which are connected to layer 3 3750 distribution switches.

3750layer3#ping

Protocol [ip]: 10.66.206.5

% Unknown protocol - "10.66.206.5", type "ping ?" for help

3750layer3#ping

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 10.66.206.5

Repeat count [5]:

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]: y

Source address or interface: 10.66.217.131 <=== *** Not sure why it returns invalid source. This is actual IP from a client.

% Invalid source

Source address or interface:

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marlon

The source address or interface used in extended ping must belong to the actual router/switch you are running the ping on.

So unless 10.66.217.131 is assigned to an interface on the switch it will report that it is not a valid address.

Jon

Darn. So I guess if I add a secondary IP address under the respective vlan interface, that could be a way to test it then.

Thanks.

Marlon

Know it sounds a bit obvious but why not just use the client.

Or alternatively add a temporary entry into your acl for the switch interface address that 10.66.217.131 connects to and then test.

Jon

I would use the client, but in this particular case there is no one on site so I want to make sure it is accurate before we have people trying the solution.

Sure, instead of adding the secondary IP address, I can definitely use the existing IP on the SVI.

Thankls!

Marlon

No problem. Glad to have helped.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card