Dear All,

What are different Wic-1FE Vs Wic-4ESW?

Best Regards,

Rechard

11 Replies 11

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am only able to locate HWIC-1FE and HWIC-4ESW.

For HWIC-1FE, you can only configure it as L3 port. You can look at the feature portion

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6_ps5855_Products_Data_Sheet.html

For HWIC-4ESW, you can configure L2 features.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016bf0b_ps5855_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HTH,

jerry

Dear Jerry,

Thank you for your link as above.

Could you more explain, i'm not clear for Wic-1FE and Wic-4ESW?

i just to know configure that :

1-for Wic-1FE:

interface FastEthernet0/0/0

description LAN

ip address 192.168.101.9 255.255.255.0

2-For Wic-4ESW:

interface Vlan1

description LAN

ip address 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0

interface Vlan2

description LAN

ip address 192.168.2.200 255.255.255.0

could you let me know more than this?

Best Regards,

Rechard

Rechard

With the Wic-1FE you have another routed FastEthernet interface on the router. It functions just like the built in FastEthernet interfaces. (and it is not a switch port). With the 4ESW you actually have a 4 port Ethernet switch in the router. You can configure the ports as switch ports (including VLAN assignments and other switch functions) and you configure VLANs for the layer 3 interfaces.

The other obvious difference is that with Wic-1FE you have only 1 connection and with the 4ESW you have 4 connections.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rechard,

In the most simplest of terms, a HWIC-1FE, is like an extra router port to your router. The HWIC-4ESW is like putting a 4-port Layer 2 switch (2940/2950/2960) to your router just to increase (a little bit) the port capacity. You can purchase a PoE version of the HWIC-4ESW while you can't with a HWIC-1FE.

Hi ,

As mentioned by lolaohoo, is the HWIC-1FE has the same physical interface with WIC-1FE? I mean does both use the same connectivity cable? thanks to clarify.

Regards,

Lionel

These are used ...only when you need more ports on router.Its depend on your requirement.

WIL-1FE---------configure as as L3

WIC-4ESW------configure as L2

You can use same cable.

HWIC-4ESW. It acts like a layer3 switch. You just configure ip addresses on the vlan interface. You can now use the physical port on the switch to be second outside.

HWIC-1FE/2FE is what we call Layer3 interface(routed interface).

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

oralsicool
Level 1
Level 1

so, if I need limit Bandwidth on a LAN port with Cisco 1760, What Wic Must to use Wic-4esw, Wic-1enet or wic-1FE?

___

Tia

Orlando    

so, if I need limit Bandwidth on a LAN port with Cisco 1760,

I do not believe WIC-1FE is supported on a 1760 router.

If you want to limit the speed to a particular port, then you just do PBR.

yor're right WIC-1FE ins not supported.

I Have Cisco 1760, WIC-1ADSL and 1 WIC slot available,

Bandwidch limit only is possible in router and L3 Switch.

I don't know if WIC-4ESW support PBR because is like a L2 switch. WIC-1ENET is L3 but only one RJ-45

If you want to limit the bandwidth to a particular user, here's a nasty way of doing things ...

Put the specific user in a specifc VLAN, of course you do inter-VLAN routing but with a 1760 router, you should be able to do this.

Apply the PBR on that specific VLAN.

thank you.

I will research about how to do that

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: