Views
Helpful
Replies

EEM usage for remote site?

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

Is it possible to create an applet that would monitor a remote ip address and then perform an action based on that reachability?

What I have is something like this:

RTRA->RTRB->RTRC->RTRD

I want to be able to monitor RTRC's reachability to RTRD, but I need to do it from RTRB. You can't see it above, but RTRA also connects to RTRD. If RTRB can't get to RTRD through RTRC, I want RTRB to apply a policy map in the direction of RTRA because traffic will get redirected. Is this possible to do, or is there a better way of doing that?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

John-

I think it's possible, but it would be pretty complex. I would post over in Network Management. Joe Clarke over there knows EEM like no other. Good luck and post the script when you get it working.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Is this possible to do, or is there a better way of doing that? "

I might be missing something here, but wouldn't a dynamic IGP deal with the situation you describe?

Well, yes and no. I'm using bgp between all of these sites, but the site between RTRA and RTRB is a 100mb connection that our SANS traffic goes over. If RTRA lost it's connection to RTRD (not shown, but exists in real world; it's a loop), then all branch traffic will get to RTRA via RTRC->RTRB->RTRA. When the link at either RTRA to RTRD or RTRC to RTRD goes down, I need to apply a policy map to RTRB to restrict traffic so the SANS doesn't take up all 100mb, which it takes up to 80-90mb now. So, the failover works good, but I'd like to apply the policy map automatically if the site went down at 2 in the morning.

Thanks,

John

From what you just described, perhaps QoS would be a better solution? It seems the real issue, in a failure situation, is SAN and other traffic sharing a link. For such, you could use QoS such that SAN has little, if almost any, adverse impact to the other traffic.

Joseph,

That's what I was planning on doing with the policy map. It looks like I may be able to monitor a remote router using snmp, but I'm still playing with that scenario.

Thanks,

John

What would you be unable to use the policy map all the time?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card