cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 SFP Unsupported

fouzan.nrc
Level 1
Level 1

I plugged in SFP modules in the WLC ports and the port status (Controller -> Ports) shows SFP Type as Unsupported. The modules I tried are GLC-SX-MM and GLC-LH-SM; neither of which work, link is down down. Any ideas?

7 Replies 7

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

You need to use : GLC-T= (part number) which is: 1000BASE-T SFP

BTW, Controller ports are 1000BaseT and will connect ONLY

Gigabit ethernet ports on the switch and not to Fast ethernet ports.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lucien,

Doesn't make any sense. Are you saying that the 5508 will only support GLC-T?

According to the Data Sheet, "Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) options (only Cisco SFPs supported): GLC-T, GLC-SX-MM, GLC-LH-SM".

I have tested the one I quoted and recommend to use it.

I have not tried the other SFP and quite frankly have not seen them in use with WLC that much in the field.

The SFP can be damaged, make sure they work in other devices properly, those are very sensitive.

The other possibility is that you may be hitting a software bug I will look and post if i find any. For that I need to know what model of WLC and what version you are using.

THanks for posting that it doesnt make any sense.

What tells you that the device in use is a 5508?

Hi Lucien,

Thanks for the quick response. According to the title of the post the user is using a 5508 (and most likely the new 6.0 firmware).

Frankly, I have no idea why the 4400 and the 5500 were designed with SFP-only slots. I would've thought that it would be designed with "dual-personality" ports.

Maybe hitting bug CSCta32912 (WLC 5508 - SFP Validation mechanism may rejects Cisco sold SFP's )?

Yes, this seems to be the case. Thanks!

Nice discovery Natan. +5

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card