cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2960 to other switches

wjstclair
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new 2960 switch that I am trying to connect up with some other switches that are already in place.

The switches that are already in place are located in my server room, and the new 2960 I am trying to hook up is in my office. I patch the jack in my office that I am plugging the 2960 in to to a switch in the server room with a straight through cable. Then on the 2960 I plug it in to the jack in my office with a straight through cable then plug my PC into the switch but I get no connection.

Then after trying to go through the switch and it not working it seems as though it disables the port on the switch I am using in the server room. If I unplug the switch in my office then plug my PC directly to the jack it says I have no network connection.

Do I need to run a cross-over cable from the patch panel to the switch in the server room? Then a straight through from the 2960 in my office to the jack? And would doing this wrong for some reason disable ports on the switch?

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like the switches in the computer room have bpduguard enabled on host facing ports.

With that feature enabled, a switchport will go into errdisable once it receives a bpdu from a device.

You must disable this feature if you want to connect your switch to your production network and remember to enable it once your project has been completed.

__

Edison.

Thanks for the response that sounds like the issue. Once the port goes to errdisable do you have to manually re-enable or does it re-enable itself after a certain amount of time?

Thanks again!

Depends on the configuration. If you enable BPDUguard, you need to shut/no shut. There's a command in the global configuration to re-enable err-disable ports.

If you haven't configured the errdisable recovery features:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp2233388

You will have to do it manually.

__

Edison.

once the port in the errordisable status,

default that interface by issue command, defa int fx.x, and sh/no sh ,

Yang

YANGCCIE4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, wjstclair

I am not sure if 2960 has the STP function, or port-security function,But you are better to check it out, if the switch port in your server room being configured with the port-security command, or the spanning portfast command

Interface mode

sw1#sh run int f0/11

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 165 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet0/11

switchport mode access

switchport port-security maximum 2

switchport port-security

switchport port-security mac-address sticky

end

Or the globale configuration mode

# spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default

these command will limit or prevent your new device or non-single host device plug in.

Also,think about the cross-over cable might be a good choice to connect two switch, if the ports could not self-adjust the cable connection,

Also, think about the interface parameters such as mtu, bandwidth, and delay, duplex, and speed.

that is all i could think out.

hope this help

Yang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card