cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1p1q4t Receive Priority Queue

eknell
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WS-X6408A-GBIC line-card in my 7609. I am doing QOS on this router, but what is odd to me is that my COS 5 value is not mapped to my Rx strict-priority queue 2?

This does not look normal, but maybe it is?? I have seen other examples with the same queuing structure and COS 5 is mapped to the queue 2. This is what the Rx queuing looks like on one of my Gig interfaces:

Queueing Mode In Rx direction: mode-cos

Receive queues [type = 1p1q4t]:

Queue Id Scheduling Num of thresholds

-----------------------------------------

1 Standard 4

2 Priority 1

queue tail-drop-thresholds

--------------------------

1 100[1] 100[2] 100[3] 100[4]

queue thresh cos-map

---------------------------------------

1 1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 2

1 3

1 4

2 1

Packets dropped on Receive:

BPDU packets: 0

queue thresh dropped [cos-map]

---------------------------------------------------

1 1 0 [0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

* - shared receive counter

As you can see, COS values all mapped to Rx queue 1. I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Ethan

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_n1.html#wp1015635

It's default behavior. You can manually change it to Queue 2.

___

Edison.

Edison,

I have actually tried that, "priority-queue cos-map 1 5" and it does nothing. It says something like propagating to all interfaces, but when I look at the queuing on the interface, nothing changes?

Do you happen to know how to manually change it to Q2?

Thanks again..

The link I posted also indicates the Queue will always be 1.

I don't have an equipment at the moment for testing, if you wish - you can open a TAC case.

I also want to point out, you should concentrate on egress priority queueing to be functioning as ingress priority queueing does not provide as much benefit.

__

Edison.

Edison,

I appreciate it, but all of my egress queuing is configured correctly, which why I am interested in the ingress portion. It seems to be a QOS issue and am just double checking everything, ya know?

Let me ask you this. Have you ever heard RTP packet reordering across a 2 Gig Etherchannel before? Maybe something like Interleaved packets causing VoIP issues??

I don't even know if this could be a cause for our VoIP issue, I am just having to start to look at other things besides QOS that could cause quality issues.

Thanks for you responses!

Let me ask you this. Have you ever heard RTP packet reordering across a 2 Gig Etherchannel before?

Not on EtherChannel as the traffic is per flow - in other words - you won't have RTP traffic equally balanced hence no reordering on the inter-switch link.

Maybe something like Interleaved packets causing VoIP issues??

Interleaving is tied to MLPPP, no issue with Giga EtherChannel.

___

Edison.

Thanks again!

By the way, I had already opened a TAC case a couple weeks ago on this issue. They went through all my QOS configurations with a fine tooth comb, across every router and switch hop and they said everything was provisioned correctly, which is why I am trying to think "outside the box".

I am dealing with calls that traverse 3 PBX's, 2 being VoIP PBX's with the last VoIP PBX SIP trunking to the 3rd Class5 Phone switch, across our fiber backbone with multiple router and switch hops?!

You can see I have so many variables in the mix, and it is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack!

Anyhow, I will quit rambling. Again, I appreciate your help! Have a good one!

IP SLA can be your friend in situations such as the one you are experiencing:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsla_c.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card