cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA geographic / long distance LAN failover

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

Has anybody got recent experiance / case studies for long distance LAN failover? I have found this site, which shows an example using PIX and 6.2 Code

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/firewalls/long_distance_failover_high_availability_using_cisco_pix_firewall_1159

However I would be interested in any experiances using more recent hardware and software.

Also, is it possible/practical to have more that two devices in the cluster. I am investigating the possibility of local failover within a site, and geographic failover if there is a total site failure.

2 Replies 2

srue
Level 7
Level 7

It is not possible to have more than two asa's in a failover pair. If you need higher redundancy or load balancing, add another failover pair and adjust the routing tables accordingly - you still have to maintain a configuration for each failover pair though.

I've never set up failover across a long distance. As long as it meets the IP addressing and delay requirements across monitored interfaces you should be alright.

hernankohnen
Level 1
Level 1

Mark,

It's been 4 years since your question and I was wondering if you were lucky on implementing more than 2 devices on an ASA cluster? I'm thinking on having a Primary cluster (Active/Standby) in one site and a 3rd device as a 2nd standby in the second site.

Thakns in advance!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card