cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA941: Direct SIP Call (ekiga.net)

ken987654321
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Is it possible to place a call directly to a SIP address? For instance, how might I call sip:username@ekiga.net?

Thanks,

Ken

9 Replies 9

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

Ken,

Yes it is possible. You must do IP dialing and also modify your dialplan. Also, check out this thread. It has the same concept of what you are looking for. The administration guide should provide the necessary guidance on this matter. Download it, and search for IP DIALING.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/thread/4235

Bill

Dear Bill,

Your post was very helpful in starting me down the right road.  The post you linked to and the words "IP Dialing" helped me to google more info and the relevant manuals to find the solution I was looking for.

With a few minutes of playing around, the easiest way to get it working (so that I know it works) was to enter myusername@ekiga.net as Speed Dial 2, then to call that Speed Dial from a different extension.  Similarly, from my Ekiga extension I was able to call my LAN extension.

Thank you so much for your help!

Kind regards,

Ken

Dear Bill,

I have a follow up question.  I am successfully able to place a call to "*011188888@ekiga.net" (which is the SipBroker test number).  How might I set up the device so that I could simply dial "*011188888" and it would place a call to sip:*011188888@ekiga.net?  (It would make it easier/fast to make a call).

Thanks,

Ken

P.S. What I would eventually like to achieve is being able to place a SIP call to Ekiga which performs an ENUM lookup on the number.  This is all quite new to me and if I am using any terminology incorrectly it is because I do not fully understand it yet.

In reply to my previous message it appears that Ekiga does an ENUM lookup using Sip Broker (http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enum) and requires the prefix *013. Therefore, if one calls *01317853950049@ekiga.net then an ENUM is done on 17853950049, which points to the Kansas State University test line.  It would be nice if I could set up one extension on the SPA941 so that if I dial *01317853950049 or 17853950049 the device places an IP call to sip:*01317853950049@ekiga.net.

Would you know if this is possible and where I might find details on setting this up?

Thanks,

Ken

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear sir

This is certainly possible:

- Set ekiga.net as proxy (provided this can be resolved). Set Make and Recev answer without registration to YES (If I remember well this is the default behavior).

Regards
Alberto

amontill wrote:

- Set ekiga.net as proxy (provided this can be resolved). Set Make and Recev answer without registration to YES (If I remember well this is the default behavior).

Dear Alberto,

Thanks for your reply.  I already have (1) ekiga.net set as my proxy with the appropriate username/password and (2) the extension is set to "Register: yes".

Is "Make Call Without Reg:" necessary if I am already registered to the proxy and why would it make a difference?  Similarly, what does "Ans Call Without Reg:" do?  Is there a manual which lists the meanings of all the settings?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

You could take Alberto's advice (which I recommend) and select the ext2 tab and look for the Proxy and Registration field. Then set the "Make call without reg, and Ans call without reg to yes (not default), and also set the Register field to no. Then modify the dialplan so that it looks something like this:

<*01317853950049:*01317853950049@ekiga.net>|<17853950049:*01317853950049@ekiga.net>

This will make the phone call *01317853950049@ekiga.net when ever either number is called. What it really tells the phone/ phone system is when this is dialed (anything to the left of the colon) : transmit this (anything to the right of the colon) to the pbx. You may also need to enable IP dialing since you are calling a url. Also know that this dialplan is specific to this number and if you want to dial other numbers from this extension, you need to write your dialplan to do so. Since this extension is not registered, you will only be able to recieve IP calls on this extension, as the pbx does not know this extension exists.

In response to your follow up question, you should make your dialplan to do enum lookups through SIP Broker by writing the dialplan as such:

*013xxxxxxxxxxx               or

*013xx.                              make sure this is followed by a . (period)

The second concatenation will invoke the long interdigit timer and will seem to wait before dialing your numbers. The first is the way I would do it, since it is more of an exact match (thus no long interdigit timer/ dials as soon as the last digit is pressed). You can checkout the manual for advice on writing specific dialplans and the syntax to do it. Just know that if the dialplan does not allow a digit or combination of digits to be dialed, you will be stopped immediately.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Thanks Bill.  For the benefit of others I will leave some of the results of my trial-and-error here.

(1) The dial plan I entered was (<:*013>xxxxxxxxxx.<:@ekiga.net>)

The means that if I dial 17853950049 ekiga will do an enum lookup via SipBroker (that's what *013 is for) and patch the call via IP dialing to the Kansas Sate University test line.

(2) It appears that when I update the dialing plan through my web browser it does "NOT" immediately get accepted on the device. Instead, I must manually restart the device for the new dialing plan to be put in to place (this was what really slowed down my progress!) or change another setting which forces a restart.

(3) I have my ekiga account set up and I am registered therefore "Make call without Reg: no" is fine.

Thanks to both Alberto and Bill for their helpful replies.

Regards,

Ken

Additional follow up:

Now I have set the dial plan to: ([0-9*]xx.<:@ekiga.net>)

This allows me to dial any of the "fun numbers" at http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Fun_Numbers on my keypad and have the call placed via ekiga.net/org.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: