cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router not accepting login

1thumper1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, noobie here. I've just recently purchased a 3 routers and 3 switches. 2 of the routers I'm unable to get them to go through this;

R2(config-line)#login

Which should come up w/ this so I can assign a interface an IP address.

R2(config)#int s0

but it keeps staying in the

R2(config-lin)#

Please help, what else do you need?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven

You are entering:

R2(config)#int s0

but the router does not go into interface mode (as is illustrated by Collin). The most likely cause of this is that your router does not have an interface serial0. Perhaps it is serial0/0 or something else. The easy way to know what interfaces the router has is to execute the command show ip interface brief (execute this from the command prompt - not from the config prompt).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It looks like your in the VTY lines. To enter into interface configuration, try something like this-

Router(config)#interface fastethernet0/0

Router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Hope that helps.

Steven

You are entering:

R2(config)#int s0

but the router does not go into interface mode (as is illustrated by Collin). The most likely cause of this is that your router does not have an interface serial0. Perhaps it is serial0/0 or something else. The easy way to know what interfaces the router has is to execute the command show ip interface brief (execute this from the command prompt - not from the config prompt).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Excellent!

Yes, after more DD I believe it should be the serial 0/0, hopefully.

Thank you!

Regards.

Yes, the show ip interface brief gave me what I needed it was serial1/0, nothings ever easy.

Thx again!

Steven

I am glad that my suggestion helped you to find the solution to your problem. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was solved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that there was a suggestion which did lead to a solution.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card