cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM v5.2 user tracking

raindrop18
Level 1
Level 1

we just upgrade LMS 2.6 to 3.2 and the user trucking reporting multiple devices list their host name by ip address, even though they have valid host name. we have close to 45,000 end devices and this happen close to 15,000 end devices. any reason? second the report also getting end devices information from AP, which is currently Cisco AP not managed by CM. we don't need end devices information from AP. is that possible to exclude end device information from AP.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You should be able to plumb lo0:2 as an inet6 virtual interface then assign this to your zone:

ifconfig lo0:2 inet6 plumb ::1

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure the resolver.pl utility can properly resolve the end host IP to a hostname:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl IPADDRESS

Also, if these end host entries show up without a Subnet field, it could be that UTLite is providing the IP, and the ARP entries for these end hosts are not being found at acquisition time. In that case, you need to make sure that the routers which have the ARP entries for these end hosts are properly Data Collected by Campus Manager, and show up with a green router icon on the topology map.

To disable acquisition of AP end hosts, uncheck the "Enable User Tracking on Access Points" box under Campus Manager > Admin > User Tracking > Acquisition > Acquisition Settings.

the resolver.pl didn't resolve the name. here the output.

->./resolver.pl switch-3c

Original name: switch-3c

Hostnames/IP Addresses:

No such host.

my question is resolver.pl from where did get the name resolution? using a host file or ipnodes from the server.

FYI- currently we are try to use ipnodes instead of hostfile( I don't have permission to add on host file for network devices)I am trying to compile snmp with ipv6 support to get resolution from ipnodes. is this affection resolver.pl script? if so how I can setup LMS to use new snmp instead of the OS snmp.

for my second question.I am already uncheck the "Enable User Tracking on Access Points" box however still I am getting end user information from Ap's.

The resolver.pl script uses the system resolver. So, if you're configured to use a hosts file or DNS, resolver.pl will use that (in the order that is configured in the OS).

I don't believe LMS can use ipnodes on Solaris < 10. This is a limitation of Java. If resolver.pl is not showing you the hosts in ipnodes, then LMS will not be able to take advantage of that.

If the users were already in UT before you unchecked the AP option, they will not be deleted. You will have to delete them manually. New users should not show up, however. That said, I am talking about UT getting users directly associated with APs. If the APs themselves are showing as end hosts, then the associated users may still show up in UT as being connected to the same switch to which the AP is connected.

I just confirmed that LMS 3.2 does support ipnodes on Solaris 9 for IPv4 hosts. I have the following configured in /etc/nssiwtch.conf:

ipnodes: files dns

Then this in /etc/inet/ipnodes:

10.1.1.1 myrouter

Then:

% resolver.pl myrouter

Original name: myrouter

Hostnames/IP Addresses:

myrouter/10.1.1.1

The myrouter hostname is not found in DNS or in /etc/hosts.

our LMS is on Solrais 10.5 and /etc/nsswitch.conf is configured for ipnodes. the ipnodes work because the ping is working. here is the ping from CW server to the switch

ping switch-3c

switch-3c is alive

[->ping -s switch-3c

PING switch-3c: 56 data bytes

64 bytes from cs319-3c (10.16.100.100): icmp_seq=0. time=1.42 ms

64 bytes from cs319-3c (10.16.100.100): icmp_seq=1. time=9.40 ms

but resolver.pl not get his why is that?any idea...thanks again!

On Solaris 10, /etc/inet/ipnodes is a symlink to /etc/inet/hosts by default. If these two files are different, I'm not sure LMS will work properly. I tried testing it locally, and it does not work. Truss confirms that the name resolution API Java is using only consults /etc/hosts.

I thought the same way,thanks a lot for the confirmation!!!

Yes, I confirmed that in the native Java source code, IPv4 resolution is done using gethostbyname_r() which will only check /etc/hosts. If the system supports IPv6, then resolution will consult ipnodes.

just to confirm one more time. ok with current status because the snmp came with Solaris 10 not ipv6 enabled, can't read ipnodes file since the ipnodes symlink broken .I have the same problem with other traffic management monitoring application.(cacti) however with Cacti I did compile snmp from binary with enable ipv6. and I did configure Cacti to use the new snmp instead of the OS snmp. now Cacti get name resolution from ipnodes. as my understanding there is no way to do on LMS. am I correct?

No, this is not possible with LMS because we rely on Java's name resolution. And on Solaris 10, the IPv4 nodes are looked up in /etc/hosts.

There is a workaround (though I'm not sure your administrators will allow it). If you plumb an IPv6 interface (even it it doesn't have a global address) Java will use the newer name resolution API. For example:

ifconfig lo0 inet6 plumb

After that, resolver.pl will consult ipnodes.

thanks Joe..my admin is ok with that, do i need to restart the server or dmgtd to be effective?

You may need to restart dmgtd. A reboot is not required.

I got this quest, we are using solaris local zones for LMS.We already have an ipv4 loopback lo0:1 defined for 127.0.0.1. how we can defining a new loopback to present to the local zone that is inet6 type.the command is different than you gave me for solaris local zones?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: