PRI Setup

Answered Question
Sep 11th, 2009

I have a standard 16U-4FXO UC520 and i am getting a PRI line from AT&T. Is there some documentation for setting this up as well configuring the UC with PRI?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Steven DiStefano about 4 years 7 months ago

I believe the new IOS allows the system to recognize the VIC.  When it is recognized, it will (should) appear.

Correct Answer by Saurabh Verma about 4 years 7 months ago

Verified with engineering - this is a known issue. Can you use UC 520 Early Adopter Software Pack 7.1.3? This bundles IOS image 12.4(22)YB4 that has the fix. You can download it from https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9829.

HTH,
Saurabh

The current version of CCA defaults the framing and linecode to ESF and B8ZS respectively. It provides you following configuration parameters:

Connection Type: Select T1

Channel Signaling: Select ISDN PRI

Switch Type: Check w/ your provider (most common is primary-ni)

Bearer Cap: Select Speech

PRI Group: Check with your provider on the number of channels enabled for your PRI. Note that on the Desktop form factor (8U and 16U UC 520), a maximum of 22 channels can be defined. The default T1 range is 1 time slot to 24 time slots;  time slot 24 (the D-channel) is always included. The  range of time slot 24 to time slot 24 is invalid.

Attached is a screen-shot for an E1, but the configuration of T1 should be fairly similar

T1E1_Main.JPG

Please note that CCA release 2.1 will be released later this week that has an extensive troubleshooting section that can be used to troubleshoot connectivity issue.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Correct Answer by Steven Smith about 4 years 7 months ago

You should also look at this document.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9646

It has a lot of good information on using CCA.  It doesn't specifically have PRI information, but it has a good information about using CCA, using it with your dial plans, DID mapping etc.

You should be able to use CCA release 2.0.1 to configure the PRI and the associated dialplan. The GUI is fairly straight forward and has online help for guidance. Couple of things that you may need from your provider:

Framing - SF or ESF (ESF is most common)

Line Code - AMI or B8ZS (B8ZS is most common)

Number of channels on the PRI. Note that the 16-user UC 520 can support a maximum of 22 voice channels.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Average Rating: 5 (5 ratings)
Correct Answer
Saurabh Verma Fri, 09/11/2009 - 12:08

You should be able to use CCA release 2.0.1 to configure the PRI and the associated dialplan. The GUI is fairly straight forward and has online help for guidance. Couple of things that you may need from your provider:

Framing - SF or ESF (ESF is most common)

Line Code - AMI or B8ZS (B8ZS is most common)

Number of channels on the PRI. Note that the 16-user UC 520 can support a maximum of 22 voice channels.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

Saurabh

murtazashikarii Fri, 09/11/2009 - 12:29

Thanks for the tip!

Could you direct me a more specific document of using the CCA to configure PRI? I have already used the CCA for sip configurations, so pretty well versed with that.

Correct Answer
Saurabh Verma Mon, 09/14/2009 - 08:38

The current version of CCA defaults the framing and linecode to ESF and B8ZS respectively. It provides you following configuration parameters:

Connection Type: Select T1

Channel Signaling: Select ISDN PRI

Switch Type: Check w/ your provider (most common is primary-ni)

Bearer Cap: Select Speech

PRI Group: Check with your provider on the number of channels enabled for your PRI. Note that on the Desktop form factor (8U and 16U UC 520), a maximum of 22 channels can be defined. The default T1 range is 1 time slot to 24 time slots;  time slot 24 (the D-channel) is always included. The  range of time slot 24 to time slot 24 is invalid.

Attached is a screen-shot for an E1, but the configuration of T1 should be fairly similar

T1E1_Main.JPG

Please note that CCA release 2.1 will be released later this week that has an extensive troubleshooting section that can be used to troubleshoot connectivity issue.

Thanks,

Saurabh

murtazashikarii Wed, 09/16/2009 - 11:22

Saurabh, do i need to go through the telephony wizard to get that option of selecting the T1 connection type?

Saurabh Verma Wed, 09/16/2009 - 12:05

Telephony setup wizard is one of the options, but note that TSW can only be run if the product is in the factory default mode. Alternatively, you can use the expert mode "Configure > Telephony > Voice" to configure the T1/E1 card.

-Saurabh

murtazashikarii Wed, 09/16/2009 - 16:34

For some reason i do not see that option under voice... !

Also, during the configuration of the interface card on the router, it asks me to install the HWIC T1/E1 license first. Where can i get this information?

Saurabh Verma Wed, 09/16/2009 - 16:38

What is the VWIC card that you are trying to install? Can you give me the part number? An output of "show ver", "show diag" and "show run" from the UC 520 would be helpful as well.

Saurabh Verma Wed, 09/16/2009 - 17:05

Thanks for the output, can you paste the error message along with the steps that you were taking for configuring the card?

-Saurabh

murtazashikarii Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:05

Thanks Saurabh. I will upgrade it the YB4 s/w pack and let you know if it got fixed.

However, i am still unable to locate that T1 selection under voice? When i first login, i am asked to initialize the voice system and i selected PBX and entered the desired voicemail extension. But i can't seem to find that screen which asks me to configure PRI ?

Also, does the above need to be done even after the s/w configuration of the card?

Correct Answer
Steven DiStefano Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:07

I believe the new IOS allows the system to recognize the VIC.  When it is recognized, it will (should) appear.

Saurabh Verma Thu, 09/17/2009 - 08:54

That's correct, the older IOS does not recognize the T1/E1 vwic card. Because of this, CCA does not detect it on the system and hence does not display the configuration option. The T1/E1 configuration option will appear only if the system is able to properly detect the card. My suggestion would be to first upgrade the system to the 7.1.3-ea software pack and then try to configure the T1/E1 card.

HTH,

Saurabh

murtazashikarii Thu, 09/17/2009 - 16:34

I hope i can word this right....

I was wondering if i could configure the T1 line as a sip trunk for the internet connection on the box which is also configured to receive the PRI line. The reason behind this is at the numbers won't be ported for a week and i was wondering if i could make use of an existing sip trunk connection for the same. So i will still have the interface card and the system is configured to receive a T1... however was wondering if it was possible to have the network set up for sip and have that functional in the meanwhile?

Saurabh Verma Thu, 09/17/2009 - 18:27

Not sure if you are thinking about configuring these as data trunks (for carrying SIP traffic). UC 500 supports T1/E1 as Voice only trunks (PRI, CAS, etc). You cannot configure these as data T1s.

You can still setup the UC 500 with SIP providers. You could have data connectivity through the WAN (fastethernet) interface and run the SIP trunk on top of that.

Let me know if that answers your question.

-Saurabh

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted September 11, 2009 at 11:23 AM
Stats:
Replies:20 Avg. Rating:5
Views:10145 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard