cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 Transmit Errors and Discards

irwinholmes
Level 1
Level 1

Im seeing a high amount of errors and discards resulting in latency issues up to 60ms on my ipsec0 interface.

Im running the latest firmware.  Any ideas?  I have several RV082s and this is the only one with the issue.

4 Replies 4

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

Is it happening only through the ip sec tunnel? If yes, you could be killing your available bandwidth. How often does this happen? What if you continuously ping a web server? Do you loose packets to it? Can you post a screen shot of the problem, and be a little more specific about how you have performed troubleshooting?

Bill

Im using solar winds Network Perf Mon.  I was monitoring looking for another issue simply related to overall network performance.  I have 3 RV082's connected to an ASA 5505.  At this particular site there is only 1 user. 

Im seeing receive discards on the ASA, and transmit ones on the RV082.  Yes both are in the tunnel port.  I did ping our DNS server and it came back with 25% loss the first time.  After that it was 100% no errors. 

Actual utilization of the pipe is less than 5%, and Im still seeing errors.

Let me know what you need regarding screen shots.  I had a peak of 70 transmit discards in 30 min.  It averages 35 or one a min.

When you say "transmit discards" it kind of sounds like the packets are being fragmented. Have you adjusted your mtu? If using dsl, set it to 1492. If using cable, then the default is usually 1500. I would contact them for the specifics. The fact that your first ping on the DNS server did not go through just means it had to look up it's mac (perform an arp request) and doesn't necessarily mean there are problems. However, I would be interested if you could do a continuous ping ( add the    -t option to your ping) like ping 192.168.1.1 -t, just use ctrl c to stop the ping. Perhaps a screenshot of the log with the error messages in it would help. On the log tab make sure system errors is checked and then show the outgoing log. Screenshot that (if it contains any errors) and post if possible. By the way, are you using the second wan port? Maybe we could check if the port is bad by using wan2 as the outgoing port for this and see if you are getting the same problem.

Bill

Noted.  Ill make the changes and let you know.  I did notice that RIP was enabled on the end routers and that cleaned it all up all the errors.  It did not address the 'slowness' that the client is experiencing though but its a start.  Thanks.