cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with router 2801

griffith2009
Level 1
Level 1

I have the next problem with router 2801.

The router reboot and present the message append, and reboot and reboot present the same message.

What i can do?

11 Replies 11

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Increase RAM, or remove the FX ports.

I remove the fxs card, and the boot continue.

In rommon i have:

rommon 1 > set

PS1=rommon ! >

WARM_REBOOT=FALSE

?=0

RANDOM_NUM=986798751

BSI=0

CRASHINFO=crashinfo_FAILED

RET_2_RTS=20:34:09 GMT-4 Fri Sep 11 2009

RET_2_RCALTS=1252715655

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You are using the highest IOS feature set (the Advanced Enterprise Services) in the 12.4T version. Such IOS can be very memory-heavy. Do you need to run the 12.4T and also do you need it to be so fully-bloated? Maybe you could go with a 12.4 (no T-train) Advanced IP Services.

Also, I have noticed in your output that your IOMEM is set to 25% of your memory. That is also quite high - it means that 25% of your RAM is devoted to packet buffers. Usually this percentage is lower. I would suggest lowering it, however, the "memory-size iomem" is available only in the IOS configuration which is currently unreachable for you.

I suggest entering the ROMMON mode and issuing the "set" command to see if there is any environment variable with the name "IOMEM" or similar. If there is one, remove it using the "unset" command referring precisely to that variable's name, e.g., "unset IOMEM".

Best regards,

Peter

I remove the fxs card, and the boot continue.

In rommon i have:

rommon 1 > set

PS1=rommon ! >

WARM_REBOOT=FALSE

?=0

RANDOM_NUM=986798751

BSI=0

CRASHINFO=crashinfo_FAILED

RET_2_RTS=20:34:09 GMT-4 Fri Sep 11 2009

RET_2_RCALTS=1252715655

Hello,

Okay. My suggestions are still the same - in my opinion, you are using an IOS version and feature set that is too much bloated for your needs and your current RAM capacity. You would probably be OK with the Advanced IP Services and no T-train unless you know precisely why you need exactly the version you're using now.

As a temporary workaround, when the IOS boots without the FXS card, try to decrease its IOMEM consumption using the command

memory-size iomem 15

in the global configuration mode, then saving the configuration and reloading the router.

Best regards,

Peter

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Peter,

12.4T? According to the attached file, the 2801 is running 12.3(14)T5.

I can't find any download information regarding the 12.3(14)T5 (only the T6 is available) and it's probably due to bug issues.

According to the download page for the 12.3(14)T6, DRAM requirement is 128mb and Flash is 64mb.

Try using the 12.3(14)T6.

Hi Leo,

You're right, the IOS indeed is a 12.3T train. I stand corrected. Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

I annex the dir flash:, you can see several files crashinfo_xxx.

Also annex the minimum of memory and flash for ios 12.3(14)T5, according to this the router should work without problems.

The router continuous boot continuously.

As I have no access to conf term. I'm trying to load in the flash a new version of IOS, since rommon>, i trying to erase all information in flash, using the command tftpdnld.

I set all variables. But when execute tftpdnld, tells me that i would run reset, i do, but the router continue boot constantly.

Best regards,

Maria

Hello,

The minimum memory requirements may be exceeded if there are lots of interfaces installed in the router. As you have indicated yourself, when you remove the FXS interfaces the router is actually able to boot. The memory requirements indicated for a particular version of IOS should therefore be taken as a minimum requirement for a router without any additional interfaces or modules. Presence of various modules may further increase the minimum RAM necessary to run a particular IOS version.

As Leo has suggested, try the newer version 12.3(14)T6 and possibly a lower feature set.

Best regards,

Peter

No worries Peter. I made the same mistake a few times. :)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maria,

Can you try to download and install 12.3(14)T6 rather than 12.3(14)T5? This version was pulled down (possibly due to a critical bug discovered)?

Another thing, I can't see what Bootstrap you are running. Because you have a 2800 with USB port, how do you like to boot from USB? If this interest you, make sure you do a one-time upgrade of the Bootstrap to 12.4(13r)T or later. Here are the quick description of the different bootstraps:

12.4(13r)T (adds boot from usb flash drive capability);

12.4(13r)T5 (Enhancement for device access in certain Cisco routers); and

12.4(13r)T6 (DRAM access optimization)

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card