cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set proxy setting in cisco router1841

virajpillai
Level 1
Level 1

Hai we are using cisco router 1841 for leased line distribution.i configured the router through sdm and we are able to browse the internet.but i have to input the proxy server address in the internet explorer lan settings then only we can open the web page Is there any way to input this proxy in the router itself.

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not really.

If your network must use a proxy, you have to configure it into each PC.

Alternatives (dhcp option, proxy auto-discovery) seems to be just experimental and may not work.

No i dont want to use proxy but to browse internet i am forced to configure it.if am not configuring the proxy then the internet explorer is showing page cannot be displayed.

where is the option for setting the proxy auto-discovery

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Viraj,

this is not possible because the effect of configuring a proxy server on the browser on the user PC is the following:

for every URL a TCP session with destination= proxy server is setup.

Then the proxy will open a session with the real server in the internet and moves traffic between the two TCP connections.

So the proxy acts at the session layer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

also we are using one linksys router for DSL connection in that its working without giving the proxy address.

Hello Viraj,

the proxy server is in use between your intranet and the other internet connection this is a reasonable explanation for what you see.

However, if the network is designed to use a proxy on the other internet connection this may mean the C1841 is configured to NAT only the proxy-server ip address (if the C1841 is the router handling the other internet connection)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ya I think there is some configuration problem in NAT .Can u helpn me to sort out this problem

hello Viraj,

post a filtered version of config.

change public ip addresses and remove username/pwds for safety.

I would expect to find a line like

ip nat source static

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco