Self-Training for CCENT and CCNA? Crazy or Possible?

Unanswered Question
Sep 13th, 2009
User Badges:

Hello,

I recently completed for a degree that, in the end, I will never use. After doing student teaching in the Spring, graduating in May and finally looking back, I decided definitely that teaching is not for me. After a summer of struggling with a direction I am deciding on Cisco Networking, something I considered in the beginning but decided to move away from.

To cut to the chase, I am considering using CBT Nuggets and CiscoPress books to begin working toward the ICND1 and ICND2 exams.

My question is whether this is a good way to gain my foundational knowledge for the purpose of gaining certification.

Thanks,

Nick

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
twalter87 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 12:23
User Badges:

Hi Nick,

I think that's a step in the right direction. In my opinion CBT Nuggets are very good at laying the foundation concepts… and you get to see practical examples as well (not to mention they are a nice break from book learning). In that same breath I certainly don't think they are enough to get the job done so it's good that you are also looking at Cisco Press material as well. From my experience… Cisco Press books took over and filled in all the blanks that CBT Nuggets didn't cover OR… didn't cover in enough detail.

I think you have a good plan there and I've yet to hear of anyone regret entering the world of Cisco Networking!

Hope that helps and good luck!

Regards,

Todd

araujojoel Thu, 09/17/2009 - 12:25
User Badges:

Nick,

The CCENT will test you global knowledge of networks so the CBT nuggets and official exam book should be enough, but the ICND2 requires you to have deeper knowledge of cisco routers and switches CLI commands.

Since the official exam guides from cisco, come with boson environment software, I would advise you to get the simulator and go through the labs.

Hope it helps

Actions

This Discussion