cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 3.1 Backup failed

durgeshk
Level 1
Level 1

I scheduled the backup in LMS 3.1 with 10 generations. First time it done sucessfully but another time it was showing the error that Backup.lock file exists hence can't take the backup. After that I manually deleted the Backup.lock file, but again I am facing the same issue. Please provide me the solution.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On what platform is LMS running? Remove the lock again, and let the backup run. When it completes, post the dbbackup.log.

Thanks for ur reply, LMS is running on Windows 2003 with SP-2. I tried to delete the backup.lock file but I failed because the backup has been already scheduled and in that case it is showing me the error that "this file is might be in use by some other person or process". So I think first I have to unschedule the backup and then I delete the file and schedule it again but I will be very hectic process for to do it everytime, please help me to resolve this.

I am attaching the dbbackup.log file here.

The backup is not completing successfully as the dfmInv database is corrupt. The corruption of this database is a known issue which is fixed in LMS 3.2. In the meantime, the only way to recover is to either restore LMS from a known good backup, or reinitialize the dfmInv database.

To reinitialize the dfmInv database, run the command:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=dfmInv dmprefix=INV

As for getting the backup to finish, you'll need to kill off the perl process associated with the backup, then remove the lock file if it still exists.

Ok.

But I want know what exactly would happen if I reinitialize the dfmlnv database. And how would I find the perl process associated with the backup that I need to kill.

You will lose your notification group customizations, some DFM inventory details, and some polling and threshold data.

The Perl process is generally the only perl.exe process running as casuser. However, you can download Process Explorer from http://www.sysinternals.com , and use it to see which process has the lock file open.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: