handle multiple calls

Unanswered Question

i have setup an ephone as a multiline (octo) handset. When someone is on a call the phone displays the connected softkeys template and I am able to transfer calls to a desired extension. However when someone is on a call and another call comes into the same phone, it displays the ringing template and the user is unable to transfer the call to a desired extension. This becomes frustrating as the only options available are to answer (put the current call on hold) or DND (ignore the incoming call).

Is there a way to display a transfer softkey from the ringing template when the phone is already connected? Or does anyone have any other workarounds for this?

Only other option I can consider at the moment is to change the ephone to singleline and create a queue for the multiple calls but this is not desirable.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Harper Sun, 09/13/2009 - 23:00
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

If you use the navigation key (specifically the up arrow) to shift the focus back to the in-progress call, you will be presented with set of softkeys appropriate for the connected state, including hold transfer etc.  Once you have dealt with that call, you can then answer the second incoming call.

Cheers,

Dave.

Marcos Hernandez Mon, 09/14/2009 - 06:16
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

I would like to add that on the 7900 series we implement a 10 second timer that will keep the focus on the current call if interaction with that softkey menu has been detected. For example, if you are trying to transfer the current call, the new one won't trigger the focus shift onto the other softkey menu,

Thanks,

Marcos

Marcos Hernandez Fri, 12/11/2009 - 06:45
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

There is no way to do this, unless you interact with the current call within ten seconds before the new one comes in (as stated in my previous post).

Thanks,

Marcos

marc.siciliano Fri, 12/11/2009 - 13:43
User Badges:

The way I get around this is to use multiple buttons with the same DN.  Of course on the 7945 you're limited to just the two buttons, but when a second call comes in on a different button, the focus is not automatically stolen.

Steven Smith Thu, 01/07/2010 - 20:28
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

I can test this tomorrow, but I believe if you press the right arrow on the 7931, you can switch focus between calls on the same button.

David Harper Thu, 01/07/2010 - 20:45
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

From memory, the 7931 UI is built around the model of one-call per button - so the use of multiple single-line ephone-dns.  For example:

ephone-dn 10

number 100

!

ephone-dn 11

number 100

!

ephone-dn 12

number 100

!

ephone 10

type 7931

button 1:10 2:11 3:12

!

CCA does not support this config currently although I seem to remember that this is roadmapped.  But if you are using CLI (and you guys are from memory), then you should be fine.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure if i've understood where you're going with that.

I have setup the following:

ephone-dn 10 dual-line

number 100

!

ephone 10

type 7931

button 1:10

!

In other words, I am not using single line dn's but rather dual-line. This is working correctly in that when the user is on a call and another caller rings the extension it appears as an option to answer. As the focus is taken away from the current call the user wants the ability to change back to the original call and transfer it before answering the new call. On the 79xx phones you did this by using the up arrow (as you explained in a previous post). However on the 7931 it doesn't work the same way. I'm unsure if the right arrow changes between calls thing but when I try it, it doesnt work as expected.

Stephen

David Harper Thu, 01/07/2010 - 21:09
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I don't quite remember how it works with dual-line DNs, but with single line DNs, each call winds up on a different button, which means that the up/down arrow behaviour works fine (not to mention that you can switch between calls using the line buttons as well in this model).  Anyway, the point is that switching to a one-call-per-button model might be more intuitive for the users.  If you do want to stick with the dual-line DNs, then we'll need to see the outcome of Steven Smith's test since I don't have a 7931 handy to check myself.

Cheers,

Dave.

Steven Smith Fri, 01/08/2010 - 10:11
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

It looks like when you have 2 calls, you can use the right arrow and left arrows, you can get back to the first call, but can't get back to the second call.  Let me do some more digging on this.  I thought this worked at one time.

Actions

This Discussion