Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client Software for Catalyst 6509E IPSEC VPN Shared Port Adapter

R.Siripan
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Which client software is support or compatible with the VPN concentrator on 6509E (Catalyst 6500 Series IPSEC VPN Shared Port Adapter)

I'm planning to get this line card and preparing for client software side, I have tested the cisco VPN Client software at the moment and it not able to do auto-reconnect if connection drops, I also learning about the "Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client" which it claim to do the auto-reconnect. So not sure which one is suitable for the line card?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ray

According to the table of supported hardware in the release notes for the AnyConnect client, it appears that it is supported only on the ASA security devices:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect20/release/notes/cvcrn200.html#wp608673

I have done some work with the AnyConnect client and I can comment that it does, in fact, do a nice job with reconnect if there was some temporary event that disruppted the connection.

[edit] and now that I think about it, this is very logical. The adapter we are talking about is for IPSec VPN and the AnyConnect is based on SSL VPN and not IPSec VPN. So you will need to use the traditional Cisco IPSec VPN client (which does not do reconnect as well as AnyConnect). But if you really want AnyConnect you would need an ASA and not a 6509E.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card