cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up a WLC config

rochoa8aeg
Level 1
Level 1

I have several WLC's in our enviornment and one WCS managing them. I use Orion to monitor and backup the configs to all our devices, which stores all them all in a organized database in txt format, this way I can simply cut and paste the config back into a device when needed, however I have tried to backup our WLC in the same manner and have been unsuccesful in every attempt.

Does anyone know of a way to backup all WLC configs in txt format using Orion?

3 Replies 3

Text backups generally don't work with WLC's in my experience. I back up my controllers via WCS. The difference is that Orion is probably doing something like a "show run", which doesn't give you everything you need to restore a controller to a previous state. WCS makes the same kind of XML backups that would be created if you used the web management interface on the controller to create a backup. The XML backups are pretty much one stop shopping for everything you need to get a controller back up and running (although you should always test your backup process).

Robert

Yeah that makes sense! So given this information what is the process for backing-up my WLC on an automated basis without manual intervention? Can this be done?

Do you have a WCS? If so, you can run the background scheduled task called configuration backup and this will be an automated process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card