cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up a WLC config

rochoa8aeg
Level 1
Level 1

I have several WLC's in our enviornment and one WCS managing them. I use Orion to monitor and backup the configs to all our devices, which stores all them all in a organized database in txt format, this way I can simply cut and paste the config back into a device when needed, however I have tried to backup our WLC in the same manner and have been unsuccesful in every attempt.

Does anyone know of a way to backup all WLC configs in txt format using Orion?

3 Replies 3

Text backups generally don't work with WLC's in my experience. I back up my controllers via WCS. The difference is that Orion is probably doing something like a "show run", which doesn't give you everything you need to restore a controller to a previous state. WCS makes the same kind of XML backups that would be created if you used the web management interface on the controller to create a backup. The XML backups are pretty much one stop shopping for everything you need to get a controller back up and running (although you should always test your backup process).

Robert

Yeah that makes sense! So given this information what is the process for backing-up my WLC on an automated basis without manual intervention? Can this be done?

Do you have a WCS? If so, you can run the background scheduled task called configuration backup and this will be an automated process.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card