Views
Helpful
Replies

uc540

Eivind Jonassen
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Just saw an article on the uc500.com page about the uc540. Is this only a different software or is it just the software pack? I saw that SSL VPN was one of the new features, is this going to be availiable on the 520??

My question:

What´s the difference? :)

Thanks,

Eivind

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Saurabh Verma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Eivind,

Here are some differences:

a) UC 540 model focusses on ease of ordering - there are only 2 hardware SKUs to select from (an FXO model and a BRI model)

b) UC 540 base models have 8 user licenses with built-in Wireless Access Point.

c) The system scales from 8 users to up to 32 users. The license upgrade is really simplied and can be implemented in multiples of 8 using the L-UC-PRO-8U= SKU. If you need a 24 user system, you can install 2 of these licenses on top of the existing 8-user base license.

d) The voicemail storage on this model is increased to 32 hours. So even at the full system capacity of 32 users, the system offers an hour of voicemail storage per user.

e) The model also has more DSP resources that can help with additional conferencing (or transcoding) sessions.

f) UC 540 is part of Small Business Pro Series of Products that are supported by the Small Business Support Center. The support contract is priced at $499 (USD list price) that gives 3 years of Cisco Small Business Pro Service.

HTH,

Saurabh

View solution in original post

This pretty much already exists in the IP Communication Express certification that requires an engineer slot that has a prerequisite of IIUC and IIUC2.

Being Express certified also lets you sell CME and Unity Express on the ISR routers.

There are a bunch of things that I do in the CLI for my customers that are not in the GUI.  Even with the Great features in 2.1.

a few are:

• Extension mobility
  • VPIM voicemail networking for multisite
  • Custom auto attendants.
  • Presence enabled BLFs

My opinion of the UC540 is that is is exactly the same as the UC520 but with double the user capacity, double the memory and double the DSPs.  That is it.

Good work CIsco!  Keep it up!

Ted

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Saurabh Verma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Eivind,

Here are some differences:

a) UC 540 model focusses on ease of ordering - there are only 2 hardware SKUs to select from (an FXO model and a BRI model)

b) UC 540 base models have 8 user licenses with built-in Wireless Access Point.

c) The system scales from 8 users to up to 32 users. The license upgrade is really simplied and can be implemented in multiples of 8 using the L-UC-PRO-8U= SKU. If you need a 24 user system, you can install 2 of these licenses on top of the existing 8-user base license.

d) The voicemail storage on this model is increased to 32 hours. So even at the full system capacity of 32 users, the system offers an hour of voicemail storage per user.

e) The model also has more DSP resources that can help with additional conferencing (or transcoding) sessions.

f) UC 540 is part of Small Business Pro Series of Products that are supported by the Small Business Support Center. The support contract is priced at $499 (USD list price) that gives 3 years of Cisco Small Business Pro Service.

HTH,

Saurabh

Questions:

1) Can you provide a link to the data sheet on the device?

2) You cannot do 48 and 64 users?

3) These are all form factor chasis'?

4) No TAC support?  What hardware replacement opitions are avaliable?  Any links to Pro Business Support SKU's

5) Can you provide links to the Cisco Quick pricing tool that now has this.

Thanks!

Kenny

Q1) Can you provide a link to the data sheet on the device?

A1) You should be able to locate that under the resources section on http://www.cisco.com/go/uc500

Q2) You cannot do 48 and 64 users?

A2) With UC 540, you can scale up to 32 users. Currently UC 520 supports up to 64 users. We are developing some future products that will support higher user counts.

Q3) These are all form factor chasis'?

A3) Not sure what's being asked here. UC 540 is desktop form factor, is 10.5” wide, 11.05” deep, and 1.5 RU tall

Q4) No TAC support?  What hardware replacement opitions are avaliable?  Any links to Pro Business Support SKU's

A4) These products are supported by Small Business Support Center. CON-SBS-SVC4 provides three year Cisco Small Business Pro Service. Hardware replacement is Next Business Day.

Q5) Can you provide links to the Cisco Quick pricing tool that now has this.

A5) Quick Quote 500 is still in works, will forward a link as soon as one becomes available.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Saurabh,

Does the UC540 still support CLI and all existing configuration options that the UC520 supports?

Does the UC520 rack kit work with this product?

Does the product support the voice T1 card (whatever the part number is)?

Are there any plans for a small business support upgrade to same day replacement of a defective chassis?

Is there a link that can summarize the differences between "Cisco Small Business Pro Service" and SmartNET that we are so used to selling?

Thank you.

UC 540 does have CLI built in, however, we strongly recommend partners to use CCA for confguring the system. CCA 2.1 is improved in several ways in configuring and troubleshooting the system. The support from Cisco Small Business Support Center is based on configuration through CCA.

The Rack mount kit that we used for UC 520 desktop form factor can still be used with UC 540. ACS-UC500RM-19=  is the 19 inch Rack Mount Kit that can be used with UC 540.

UC 540 support voice T1/E1 using VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1. There was a limitation on a maximum of 22 channels for T1/E1 for UC 520, that limitation does not apply to the UC 540 since there is more DSP resources available.

There is a premium service contract that's currently in works that will support 24x7x4 and 24x7x2 hardware replacement options. Let me find the web-site for the Small Business Pro Service.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Here's the URL for Small Business Pro Service:

http://www.cisco.com/legal/Cisco_Small_Business_Pro_Services.pdf

Thanks,
Saurabh

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I saw Saurabh answered your individual questions.   I also wanted to give you (and everyone) two Webcasts we just did this past week (Sept 9 and 10) to give you the messaging and some other details too.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-9998

We also have a Platform Reference Guide for UC540 which all Cisco partners can find here:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-10006

And then the Feature Description Guide, so that you know what is supported with CCA 2.1, which is what we support on UC540.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-10005

BTW, if you want to stay aware of Webcasts coming next (every week) visit our Calender:

www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsales

Steve DiStefano

Systems Engineer

US Field Channel

Steve and Saurabh,

Thanks for all the great information. I will make sure to review it with our team. I do have some concerns that I think Cisco will need to address sooner rather than later.

It sounds like we are headed down a path in which Cisco will not be supporting UC customization outside of CCA. It seems the UC540 and UC560 will be replacing the UC520 so that Cisco can eliminate SMARTNET and CLI customization in favor of a cookie cutter CCA design.

With Small Business Support not supporting CLI customization, I think Cisco is headed down a bad path. Is the long term plan not to support CLI customization on the UC platform?

Customization is what makes the UC platform great. If we cannot customize the UC platform beyond the limitations of the CCA (I don't want to get into all the problems, etc with CCA - you can review the posts on that subject all over this board), Cisco UC loses some of its appeal. The open source aasterik products are basically limitless in customization and no one says they won't support it.

I was recently taking a cram course for the CSE exam. One of the questions was about the power/value of CLI. The answer was something like provides "network intelligence" and "open standards. Is Cisco going away from that basic philosophy with this product?

First the elimination of Smartnet, next the elimination of CLI then on the shelves of Best Buy - could this be a SMB partner squeeze out?

Appreciate the feedback as always.

We also have many Partners who want very much to have a reduced TCO, operational expense and deployment times, so the technical enablement model is to build a practice using the CCA can achieve that.

We feel that the CCA 2.1/SBCS 1.6 Feature Description Guide brings to bear the Fortune 500 capabilities any Small Business can benefit from and will still beat the pants off our competition, if only we made it easy to deploy.  With CCA 2.1, we made it easy.

This is not to say you cannot differentiate yourself with advanced technical skill and savvy, interconnection and interopertability with 3rd parties you choose (we recommend many) its just that you will need to have the responsibility to operate that way on the UC540.  UC520 and higher ISR/CME solutions are available for the very skilled, so we dont take it ayay, really.... But that will take advanced skill and will use more of your time.  Just not the model that works best for all partners.

The dedicated support team (SBSC) and 3 year piece of mind Service is an improvement for SBCS.  Dedicated and trainined on CCA is a big win for partners who dont want OOB CLI that they cant maintain or understand....

All respect,

Steve

finalconnect
Level 3
Level 3

Can a UC520 and UC540 be used together in a host/remote scenario or because of the CLI support limitation only UC520 be used in this situation?

You should be able to use a combination of UC 520 and UC 540 for a multisite scenaio. CCA 2.1 can now configure multisite deployments. You can configure both devices using CCA.

-Saurabh

Exactly. Express and Premier certifications are always an option.

Marcos,

That sounds great, but that is not an option for small partners. If Cisco does not want to support smaller partners, put it on the shelves of Best Buy and be done with the SMB certification nonsense.

This is what would be great. A new technical ONLY path for UC520 that would test a partners CLI UC ability. The UC520 CLI is technical not sales. The SMB sales tests would cover the sales side of the certification/track. This SMB Advanced or UC Advanced would be a technical only path with a pre-req of SMB engineer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: