CCENT Exam-what to know for sub netting?

Unanswered Question
Sep 14th, 2009

I am currently studying for the CCENT exam. I have been suing CBT Nuggets as well as the CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Office Exam Certification Guide.

I am confused as to what I need to know as far as subnetting goes. In the CBT Nuggets videos I was taught how to solve three types of problems:

1) Subnetting when given a required number of networks

2) Subnetting when given a required number of clients

3) Given an IP address & Subnet Mask, finding original network range (reverse engineering a subnet problem)

In the official exam certification guide book the presented material goes way beyond those three types of problems, including knowing how to/memorizing the powers of 2, ie: 2^10 power, how many subnets and number of hosts per subnet, ext.

My question is CBT Nuggets CCENT training incomplete, or does the exam book provide more than the required information? Specifically knowing the chart of 2^x (two the number of hosts or subnets) which seems a little excessive since we can't use calculators.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have never taken a Cisco exam before.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
araujojoel Thu, 09/17/2009 - 12:20

The information presented on the CCENT/ICND2 videos is good, but additonal info on subnetting is provided on the nuggetlabs site. For the exam you need to be a subnet "master" and be able to resolve the scenarios very quickly. The best way for you to get in the exam frame of mind for subnetting, have a look at the cisco arcade ( specially the Subnet Troubleshooting Game and the The Binary Game.

The The Cisco Mind Share Game 'tests' all aspects of the CCENT/ICND exams.

Hope this helps.

mikejensen83 Fri, 09/18/2009 - 09:04

Thank you for the information. About how many subnetting/binary questions should I expect to be on the exam?

araujojoel Fri, 09/18/2009 - 09:21

if you have a look at the link below,

you'll notice that there are 7 sections.

The real exam is also covers these 7 sections, but the questions are ramdomised.

out of these 7 sections only 3 are based on concepts, the other 4 are configuration related, and will require you to know subnetting and how to configure routers and switches.

-Implement a small switched network,

-Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office,

-Implement a small routed network,

-Implement and verify WAN links

ICND2 requires you to to binary conversion know how to calculate host bits and network bits used, in order to assign IP address ranges, subnet masks, and configure NAT and ACLs.

Hope this helps.

supersonicbaba Sat, 09/19/2009 - 22:03

Good day to every one reading this.....

Please I need your help.I am new to networking and I want to start freshly.Please I would really appreciate it if any one has mterials or CBT for 640-822 ICND1 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1).

My name is James and my email address is [email protected].

If you have the material or know here I can get it for free online please do let me know.

This Discussion