cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 6509

mark.nelson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509 with 2 WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE sup engines. The one in slot 0 does not show up anymore and slot 1 is active. When doing a show mod slot 1 shows supervisor-other unknown and when sh redundancy shows standby down. They are both running c6sup22-jsv-mz.121-26.E8. The unknown sup engine in slot 1 keeps reloading, decompressing the image and then says it is standby and then reports changing console ownership to route processor and then in a few minutes reloads again. Any ideas? Is my sup engine card hosed?

6 Replies 6

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Can you post your show module output?

Attached is the sho mod output.

Thanks!

rducombl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IT is hard to say.

If you can connect to console try :

- insert a flash card in it

- Connect to console

- break it to Rommon

- Try to boot it with another image.

it might also help to see the complete console log when it is booting in cycle ? Also do you see any syslog message on the active sup when the standby is reloaded in cycle ?

Thnaks,

Roland

here is the logging entry from syslog: 30w4d: %ONLINE-SP-6-TIMER: Module 1, Proc. 0. Failed to bring online because of timer event

30w4d: %PFREDUN-SP-6-ACTIVE: Standby processor removed or reloaded, changing to Simplex mode

Attached is the console log....it says there is corrupt nvram which is a new error that it didnt report before.

This sounds like an RMA.

Are you able to try this SUP in another chassis or slot?

If you were able at least to boot it, I would have recommended to format NVRAM: first before concluding it's a bad module.

Try another slot to confirm it's not related to the backplane.

looks like the documentation says that since it is "standby" that it can be hot swapped with another? I have another sup2 card....but want a sanity check on hot swapping an inactive card. Is that true?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card