cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting ap1250 to Lwapp

jcerero77
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am having issues trying to convert from autonomous to lwapp. This is the first time working with this model, we have 1242's which are lwapp and working fine. The version I have is 12.4(10b).JA1 but when I use the upgrade tool and try to use image file c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA1.tar I get an error stating that the LWAPP Recovery Image is not a valid one. I got this file from Cisco and I am very confused as to why this does not work. Anything I am missing? Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Requirements:

• Image file (The recovery file has the prefix “rcv” in the image name, such as c1200-rcvk9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

• AP is connected to the Wireless LAN Controller; and

• AP can ping the TFTP server where the image is located.

Procedure

1. Copy the recovery file to the AP using the following command:

archive tar /x tftp:/// flash:

2. Let the AP boot on this image:

boot system flash://.bin

3. Reboot the AP.

OPTIONAL

• DO NOT ALLOW THE AP TO JOIN THE WIRELESS LAN CONTROLLER IN ORDER TO USE THE OPTIONAL COMMANDS BELOW.

• IF POSSIBLE, type the following commands:

 clear lwapp private-config (This will bring the AP to factory default.);

 clear lwapp ap ip address

 clear lwapp ap hostname

 clear lwapp ap controller ip address

4. Let the AP connect to the Wireless LAN controller.

OPTIONAL

If an AP refuses to join the Wireless LAN Controller, type the following command from the AP:

lwapp ap controller ip address

Thank you for your response. I have read that document you posted, I've tried following the steps but I have had no success. In the requirements you state that the AP should be connected to the Controller, but this AP is not lwapp yet, that is what I am trying to do convert it to lwapp so my controller can see it. In the instructions it reads "You must use the upgrade tool with Cisco Aironet 1100, 1130, 1200, 1240, and 1310 series access points that are running Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or later. All access points must be in AP mode." But it doesn't say what to use for Cisco Aironet 1250's. The section that talks about this specific model is "Converting a Lightweight Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode" but that is not what I'm trying to do. Please clarify if the instructions you gave me is what needs to be done to convert ap1252 to lwapp. Thank you for your time.

Have you tried my procedure?

I didn't try your procedure because I was confused on some of the steps. I appreciate your time, but I ended up calling Cisco. All i had to do to convert to LWAPP is upgrade it from CLI, using "archive download-sw /overwrite tftp:///

Path>/". The upgrade tool is not needed for this model.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card