cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help on the Two VLAN and a cohmmon server !!!

balaji090
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Well this is bit short and a tricky one for me !! may be if any guru can help on this ....

I have 2 Vlans :

Vlan 200

vlan 300

both the vlan needs to connect or talk to the same servers. Is it possible to do this without Private vlan concept ?? If so please elobarate hope to hear...

Thanks in advance ppl !!

5 Replies 5

platinum_jem
Level 1
Level 1

1) Where is your servers located ?

2) Do you have a gateway for VLAN200 and VLAN300 ? If so are they belonging to the same Layer3 device ?

Hey Plat ,

I am just planning for the implementation to place the server its not there already ....

So how can I plan this....

I have two vlans but both the vlans need to talkto a common server where can i place for both the vlans to communicate smoothly ??

Thanks for the reply cheers!!

you can buy a L3 switch. in this case it is recommanded to place the server in a new third vlan. every vlan will have its own IP subnet and you can control by access lists wich computer in any vlan will communicate with the server.

you can also buy a L2 switch supporting "private vlan" technology.

in this senario you will place the server in what we call Promiscuous port. you can have one IP subnet for all computers.

please rate if this help

Create a 3rd VLAN for server.

If you are using L3 switch, just make sure you have a interface vlans for each of the VLANs and enable routing.

If not , you may have to connect all 3 VLANs into a L3 equipment and do routing there.

Whenever you need inter-vlan comms, you need a L3 equipment.

If it is only one server, it might be that you can run 802.1Q trunk to it and have separate IP addresses on each VLAN.

If, on the other hand, you are talking several servers, the L3 switch approach with a third server VLAN would be preferrable.

HTH.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco