Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco and Dell STP interop

platinum_jem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have been searching around a little on the Cisco and Dell STP interoperability. Doesnt seem to have a concrete answer.

I have a Cisco CAT6500 running Rapid PVST and a Dell Powerconnect 3548. I was wondering how the Dell P3548 STP must be done to interop with Cisco Rapid PVST successfully.

Any help will be much appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I'm referring to Spanning tree here where the spanning tree interop extend to the Dell switches to prevent looping conditions when redundant links are connected.

The URL link only shows the VTP interop, not for spanning tree.

Any help there ?

I don't know Dell's stance on it, but we run RSTP here. I have a Cisco 3750 in a stack for my core, and we run Powerconnect 3548s as edge switches. They work fine.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Do you have a redundant links or loop conditions for your Cisco to Dell switch connection ?

I'm looking to create a redundant or Mesh infrastructure, so STP is critical for handling looping conditions.

Yes I do. I have a stack of 7 3548s on a floor below me with 1/g1 and 7/g1 connected to the core switch, and I have another stack on my floor of 6 switches with 1/g1 and 7/g1 connected to the core. On a weekend, I pulled the active connection from the Dell and it failed over to the redundant link on the 3750.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks John.

I'll give it a try then.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: