Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 SP Compact Flash adaptor for SP bootflash

amexandrewgee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm attempting to upgrade a 6500 SUP720 module's SP bootflash (sup-bootflash)from the default of 64Mb to 512Mb by the installation of a CompactFlash (CF) adaptor.

Problem:

=======

The SUP720 boots up OK when the default sup-bootflash module(64Mb) is installed in the SP DIMM. It has the following boot image installed:

s72033-PSV-MZ.122-18.SXD76.bin

The attached file displays both a normal boot sequence with the default sup-bootflash and the attempted boot sequence with the CF adaptor installed.

For the later, the boot sequence implies that the CF adaptor is a non-bootable device.

Note: The s72033-PSV-MZ.122-18.SXD76.bin file was copied acrossed to the 512Mb CF prior to the upgrade.

Is there something obvious that I have "missed" here?

Do I need to change the bootvar varibles prior to re-booting with the CF adaptor?

(see attached file)

The SP ROMMON release is later than 8.4(2):

Router#remote command switch show version | include ROM

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 8.5(2)

System returned to ROM by reload at 06:42:42 UTC Tue Sep 15 2009

Router#show rom-monitor slot 5 sp

Region F1: APPROVED, preferred

Region F2: INVALID

Currently running ROMMON from F1 region

Finally, I assume that after a successful CF Adaptor upgrade has been performed, the "sup-bootflash" is then referred to as "sup-bootdisk" - is this correct?

Any hints or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Cheers

Andrew

4 Replies 4

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The newly installed CF adapter with 512MB doesn't have any image on it. This is part of the reason why your 6500 cannot find the boot image on the new CF card.

Here is what you can do

first copy the image from sup-bootflash: to disk0:

copy sup-bootflash:s72033-psv-mz.122-18.SXD7b.bin disk0:s72033-psv-mz.122-18.SXD7b.bin

Install the new CF for the SUP

When you stuck at ROMMON, do

boot disk0:s72033-psv-mz.122-18.SXD7b.bin

After the SUP boot up, format the sup-bootflash: and copy the image from disk0: to sup-bootflash:

For your 2nd question, sup-bootflash: will not renamed to sup-bootdisk: if you are using the same version. It was changed in a version of IOS, and then later on, both sup-bootdisk: and sup-bootflash: are pointed to the same file system. You can use the command show file system to verify the pointer.

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

Firstly - thank you for your reply!

OK, let me share a little more of the puzzle with you:

The 512Mb CF card does in fact have two images on it including the s722033-psv-mz.122-18.SXD7b.bin. This file was copied from the original 64Mb sup-bootflash image to disk0 prior to attempting the upgrade.

The 512mb CF was then installed into the SP bootflash adaptor and inserted into the SP DIMM slot.

I'm assuming that if the 512Mb CF can boot from Disk0, then it should boot when installed in the SP bootflash adaptor - would this be correct?

Or do I need to install the SP adaptor (with CF installed), boot say from disk0 with another CF and when the system is up , reformat the 512Mb sup-bootflash and change the bootvar to point to the new sup-bootflash image?

Thanks

Cheers

Andrew

Okay, here is what I would do.

1) Copy the image to disk0: first.

2) Change the boot statement to disk0:.

3) Boot up from disk0: and, leave the new sup-bootflash: empty.

4) After the system is up, copy the image from disk0: to sup-bootflash:.

5) Change the boot statement back to sup-bootflash: for and test it works.

For your question, that is a safe assumption. I will prefer to boot it off disk0: first.

HTH,

jerry

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is a new Compact Flash card, it is recommended to format the Compact Flash card under the Operating System and the hardware that is going to be used.

Make sure to have a backup of the file currently stored on such media - format the media and restore the file back on it - try again.

BTW, that media will be referred as disk0: in the file system.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card