Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Freeze between HQ and DC

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a HQ at Svenstrup and DC in Odense, these two location connected through 34mb p2p link.

OSPF routing protocol running.

We are using HP switches at HQ LAN where all end users connected, all HP switches connected to Cisco-3560. STP is enabled but we disabled the redundant ports as traffic going through redundnat ones.

Users at Svenstrup access File servers, SMS, Citrix applications from DC in Odense.

We are running continue Ping test from Svenstrup to Odense but not have seen any packet loss. But users facing problems like from their PC's feeling freeze, connection drop while accessing any files from file server in Odense.

When we told the same thing to Provider, they also have not seen any kind of packet loss or high response time provided proofs.

Did anyone experienced these kind of problems, can some one please help me out in this.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Naidu

10 Replies 10

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

may be the problem is in servers.

do users in Odense experience the same problem?

i suggest to have a look at event viewer in servers and in HQ PCs.

if this does not help you, when connection is lost use a sniffer in one PC to monitior packets.

Hi OUSSAMA,

Thanks for your quick response.

Ok, if the problem in servers then from other sites users should have the same problem but not.

Users in Odense not having any problem, actually no users sit in Odense as it is operate DC only.

The connection losing just for 10-15 seconds only not more than that.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi

You need to need to confirm facts here, do ALL users have this problem? Do those users have the problem at the same time as all other users? If some of the users don't have the issue or don't have it at the same same time as other users, then what is the difference at the time of the problem.

The list goes on, but you need to nail it down, if you aren't dropping pings during one of these drops out, then it's unlikely to be a wan link issue.

Record and report you're findings

Thanks

kev

Hi Kev,

Not all users have problem at the same time, some users have problem at one time and other users have problem at one time.

The problem to all is same like loosing share folders from File server which is in Odense DC and connection drop/hang for 10 to 15 seconds.

I agreed with you that its not a problem with wan line as I have running continue Ping test from Aalborg to Odense DC over 34mb p2p wan link but no drop outs, is that right what you mean?

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi

Yes it is, I think you can rule out the wan link by the sounds of it.

So, you need to find the patten now, what is common to all when the pc freeze.

It only takes 1 network app on a server to hang to make it look like the pc has just disconnected etc.

Cheers

Kev

Hi Kev,

The common to all when pc's freze they will lose their share folders which are in file server at Odense DC and their email if they want attach any small document itself.

The application users using Citrix, Mail and Share holders. The citrix servers placed in DC.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi

You are going out of my skill now, but I think you can rule any networking issues.

Good luck

Kev

Hi Kev,

Oh...Ok, but people and my Manager saying that you have to give clear and make sure that you dont have any problems from Network front. But I am at strange as I dont see any packet loss even routing table also stable since last device reboots (3w2days).

Do you have something in your mind to prove strongly that we don't have any problems from network front.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi

My view you're tests are strong, like you said no change of routing, no packet loss and pings do not drop when the issues happens, plus not everyone gets it at the same time, that is a case strong enough in my book, even they don't understand it.

Kev

I guess, use the packet snipper and classify traffic in the network, if you do not have other monitor tools.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: