This conversation was once initiated and I tried looking for it but I can't remember under which topic it was done, getting back to the problem. my questions are based on the document "Designing MPLS Extensions for Customer Edge Routers"
I am using a sketch on page 11 for router 3640-PE-WEST-1 chart shows this router as running ospf for all it's vrf's (sub-interfaces), but I don't see those configs on the configs shown for this router,
1. Aren't we suppose to have the OSPF process configs for this router? If yes do they look like this:
router ospf 11 vrf V1(vpn1)
area 11 virual-link 184.108.40.206
router ospf 12 vrf V2(vpn2)
area 11 virual-link 220.127.116.11 for all other sub-interfaces using the same configs?
2. I only see 1 sub-interface configuration, should I assume there are other sub-interfaces configurations but not shown? (page 13)
3. For BGP process 1 they used the update source loopback, so my understanding is there should be another routing protocol that advertises these loopbacks between the PE routers. Am I right? (page 13)
If yes, can it be an ospf if yes still how can they do that if we have ospf processes running per vrf?
On page 16 and 17, BGP process shows many address-families configured.
4. Can it work well if I were to configure the address-family for vrf vrflite3 only and leave out the rest of the other address-families?
5. One last question is the configs for the VXR is it the same as on the 2611-CE-4 or they different since all the site's can communicate with the router VXR? What I don't know is are they all pointing to maybe one point (ip address or there are different network like vrflite vpn's shown for router 2611?
yes you're right the VXR on the left upper corner of figure 8 on pag. 11 is another multi-VRF CE.
in your case:
being multilayer switches you can use SVI and you can configure the physical links as L2 trunks.
int vlan 100
ip vrf forwarding VRF100
ip addr 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
switchport enc dot1q
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,200,300
this allows you also to have links between the two PE nodes and between the two CE nodes.
It is very handy and we use it in multiple scenarios.
Hope to help