H-Reap lap power level's

Answered Question
Sep 16th, 2009
User Badges:

Hello,

I have setup 8 remote locations with h-reap lap's on a 5508 controller. Each location has anywhere from 4-12 lap's.

In total there are 50 access points and only 4 of them have there power level above 1. From what I understand RRM is not supported in h-reap mode and will not adjust the power levels in case of a coverage hole detection. Is the same true about bringing up the power level? I don't have my ap's very close, would I be better off manually turning up the power on all of the ap's?

Dan.

Correct Answer by Rob Huffman about 7 years 10 months ago

Hi Dan,

I believe "1" is the maximum setting for Transmit Power. You are most correct that these H-REAP AP's will not likey participate in RRM so you will require manual adjustments.

Because of the fact that many remote deployments have only a small handful of H-REAPs, full Radio Resource Management (RRM) functionality might not be supported at each H-REAP site. Full RRM code is present in the H-REAP, but the Transmit Power Control (TPC) algorithms in RRM are not triggered until four or more access points are within range of each other. So, some H-REAP installations might never power their radios down.. As such, without ever being able to power down their radios in the first place, H-REAPs do not adjust transmit power upward to compensate in the event of a coverage hole detection.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Note: The 802.11a Cisco Radio supports five transmit power levels: 1 = Maximum

transmit power level allowed per Country Code setting, 2 = 50% power, 3 = 25%

power, 4 = 6.25 to 12.5% power, and 5 = 0.195 to 6.25% power.

Each AP reports an RSSI-ordered list of all neighboring APs. Provided an AP has three or more neighboring APs, the RF Group Leader applies the TPC algorithm on a per-band, per-AP basis in order to adjust AP power transmit levels downward such that the third loudest neighbor AP is heard at a signal level of -65dBm (default value) or lower.

Power changes are only made when the third loudest neighbor of a given AP is heard at a signal level higher than the default value of -65 dBm.

Power Level Assignment Method-The TPC algorithm can be configured in one of three ways:

Automatic-This is the default configuration. When RRM is enabled, the TPC algorithm runs every ten minutes (600 seconds) and, if necessary, power setting changes will be made at this interval. ****This is a display-only field and cannot be modified.****

From this excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml#tpca

Hope this helps!

Rob

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Rob Huffman Wed, 09/16/2009 - 09:05
User Badges:
  • Super Red, 40000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Dan,

I believe "1" is the maximum setting for Transmit Power. You are most correct that these H-REAP AP's will not likey participate in RRM so you will require manual adjustments.

Because of the fact that many remote deployments have only a small handful of H-REAPs, full Radio Resource Management (RRM) functionality might not be supported at each H-REAP site. Full RRM code is present in the H-REAP, but the Transmit Power Control (TPC) algorithms in RRM are not triggered until four or more access points are within range of each other. So, some H-REAP installations might never power their radios down.. As such, without ever being able to power down their radios in the first place, H-REAPs do not adjust transmit power upward to compensate in the event of a coverage hole detection.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Note: The 802.11a Cisco Radio supports five transmit power levels: 1 = Maximum

transmit power level allowed per Country Code setting, 2 = 50% power, 3 = 25%

power, 4 = 6.25 to 12.5% power, and 5 = 0.195 to 6.25% power.

Each AP reports an RSSI-ordered list of all neighboring APs. Provided an AP has three or more neighboring APs, the RF Group Leader applies the TPC algorithm on a per-band, per-AP basis in order to adjust AP power transmit levels downward such that the third loudest neighbor AP is heard at a signal level of -65dBm (default value) or lower.

Power changes are only made when the third loudest neighbor of a given AP is heard at a signal level higher than the default value of -65 dBm.

Power Level Assignment Method-The TPC algorithm can be configured in one of three ways:

Automatic-This is the default configuration. When RRM is enabled, the TPC algorithm runs every ten minutes (600 seconds) and, if necessary, power setting changes will be made at this interval. ****This is a display-only field and cannot be modified.****

From this excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml#tpca

Hope this helps!

Rob

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network