Views
Helpful
Replies

Number of AP N vs AG

tsijmerrifield
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

After a site survey the number of 1131's is 50% more than our vendor initially recommended, even though they had the floor plans and construction info (concrete building). I understand N AP's have better coverage/penetration. Is it easy for the vendor to re-model using N? And does N provide better coverage - thus fewer AP's?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I won't go into an argument about how many APs you need to deploy for N as compared to a/b/g. This depends entirely on the model of the AP you plan to deploy and the type of antennae used.

The successor of the 1130 is the 1142. So I am guessing that you are talking about this model. If so, then it boils down to the placement of the APs.

Did the vendor perform a post-installation site survey? One thing about N is the way it "bounces" it's signal against obstructions such as wood and metal.

Thanks for the follow-up. We are still in planning/ordering stage and their site survey indicated +50% more AP's than initially quoted via their estimating software, as such was interested if a different A/P would reduce this #.

What AP was used to perform a site survey? If you plan to use the 1140, for example, then the 1140 preferably should be used during the site survey instead of the 1130.

Thanks for all the replies. The vendor is testing with 1130's, however we are still awaiting the final results.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jon,

Just to add a touch to the great info from our friend Leo (+5 points here Leo :) This discrepency does show the need for real "site surveys". The general thought on "N" performance is improved throughput moreso than improved coverage.

I thought that these presentations were excellent in explaining the "N" characteristics, especially the testing results! Have a look;

Cisco & Intel 802.11n Performance Results

http://tools.cisco.com/cmn/jsp/index.jsp?id=78662&redir=YES&userid=(none)

and this excellent White Paper;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/white_paper_c11-516389_ns767_Networking_Solutions_White_Paper.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for the rating Rob.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What the bl00dy hell am I talking `bout ... :P

I'm suspecting the vendor wasn't able to use the 1140 for site survey because the autonomous IOS for the 1140 has not yet been released by Cisco. I'm guessing an 1130 (or other model) instead was used.

There is no decent recommendation here (from me). But if I was to play it safe with my finance, I'd stick to the original number before the "50% more" figure, however, I wouldn't hold my breathe against the accuracy. Instead, prepare contingency measures and be ready to purchase and deploy more APs in a case-to-case basis or when you see fit for more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: